Adding Iridescent Elements to Your Craft Projects

by - 5:32:00 PM

Adding iridescent shine to your projects is easy with a few of these different products.

Card created with: Spellbinders prism glimmer foil, glimmer system, sealed geometric optical hot plate, sealed bouquet floral reflections, anemone wonderful script die; Scrapbook.com smooth cardstock jewels, floral, roses; Pinkfresh Studio clear drops iridescent

Today is going to be a little bit of a different type of blog post. But don’t worry, you’ll still get some project inspiration! This post is inspired by my love of all things shiny and sparkly.

Card created with: Spellbinders prism glimmer foil, glimmer system, sealed geometric optical hot plate, sealed bouquet floral reflections, anemone wonderful script die; Scrapbook.com smooth cardstock jewels, floral, roses; Pinkfresh Studio clear drops iridescent

One such type of sparkle and shine that I love is iridescence. It’s the perfect type of sparkle for winter themed projects. Just think of all the snowflake themed things you can make with iridescent elements! 

Card created with: Spellbinders prism glimmer foil, glimmer system, sealed geometric optical hot plate, sealed bouquet floral reflections, anemone wonderful script die; Scrapbook.com smooth cardstock jewels, floral, roses; Pinkfresh Studio clear drops iridescent

For the holidays, I was gifted a Spellbinders Glimmer Hot Foil System. After the holidays, I picked up some extra foils—including Prism, an iridescent foil. I also saw some iridescent drops from Pinkfresh that I somehow missed when they came out earlier that I just had to buy! And it is these two products that are featured in my project inspiration. By the way, do you know how difficult it is to photograph iridescent and foiled things?! 

Card created with: Spellbinders prism glimmer foil, glimmer system, sealed geometric optical hot plate, sealed bouquet floral reflections, anemone wonderful script die; Scrapbook.com smooth cardstock jewels, floral, roses; Pinkfresh Studio clear drops iridescent

Let’s talk about the two iridescent products real quick in this project inspiration. Prism foil is a classic iridescent foil. You get a 5 inch wide roll that is 15 feet long so you get plenty of foil for lots of projects! The Glimmer Hot Foil System is designed to work with most leading die cut machines. Simply heat up the platform, create your sandwich with your desired foil and metal stamp or hot foil plate, then run it through your die cut machine to press the foil into your cardstock. I’ve purchased some solid metal stamps so next time I foil with the Prism foil, I’m going to use the negative from the above card. There is no waste in this craft room!

Spellbinders Prism Glimmer Foil

Now on to the Pinkfresh Clear Drops in Iridescent. These little round gems look like little bubbles when they’ve caught the sunlight and you see a little rainbow in them. Simply use your favorite liquid adhesive to glue them onto your project. My favorite options are College Medium Matte and Glossy Accents for glueing down gems. I’ll be sharing a mixed media project soon where I used these drops as well. 

Pinkfresh Clear Drops Iridescent

But gems and foil aren’t the only two ways to add iridescent elements to your projects. Let’s take a look at some of the other products out there that you can add. First up is holographic and iridescent paper. I’m excited about this Holographic Mirror Paper Pad by Scrapbook.com. There are 8 different sparkly papers and you get 5 sheets of each. As of writing this blog, it’s expected in the store soon and I can’t wait to get my hands on it. If you are just as excited about it as I am, be sure to head over to the Scrapbook.com store and click the button to get notified as soon as it is available for purchase! 

Scrapbook.com Holographic Mirror Paper Pad

Do you love to add dimensional elements to your projects? One of my favorite mediums to work with is Pops of Color. Snowflake Glitter is a clear paint with iridescent glitter suspended in it. It’s perfect for creating your own custom glittery paper by applying a thin layer to cardstock with a craft scraper, or adding drops to your projects. I used it in my trio of Snowflake Tags that I recently shared. 

Scrapbook.com Pops of Color Snowflake Glitter

If stamping is more your jam than die cutting is, and you don’t own a foiling system, then there are plenty of options for embossing powders with lots of sparkle. One brand that I know has amazing shine is Brutus Monroe. And in the spirit of wintry iridescence, the Frost Bite embossing powder promises to add “beautiful holographic reflections to your projects.”

Brutus Monroe Frost Bite Embossing Powder

Do you love making shaker elements? Then check out this Pure Sheen Confetti in Iridescent Circles from Nuvo. These no hole, non-faceted sequins pack a huge punch of iridescence. Not only would these look amazing in wintry snowglobe shakers, but in ocean themed shakers as well. Because let’s face it, iridescent sparkle shouldn’t just be used in the winter months! 

Nuvo Peer Sheen Iridescent Circles Confetti

If traditional sequins are more your thing, then pick up these Iridescent Moonshine sequins from Picket Fence. I have these sequins and have used them on cards, mixed media projects, layouts, in shakers and so much more. 

Picket Fence Moonshine Iridescent Sequins

Love mixed media? The Iridescent Shimmer Ink Spray from Altenew will add a magic touch to any project. Spray it on with other colors for a rainbow of shimmer or add it over white for a more subtle sparkle. 

Altenew Iridescent Shimmer Spray

Last up is one of my other favorite ways to add a bit of sparkle—faceted flat back gems! I just ordered these Color Essentials Gems in AB Spectrum and can’t wait to get them in my craft room! If you don’t know, AB stands for aurora borealis. And you certainly get the spectrum of colors in an aurora with these pretty little sparklies!

Spellbinders Color Essentials AB Spectrum Gems


I hope you found this little product guide helpful. If you want more posts like this, let me know in the comments below! 


Shop the Supplies:



Spellbinders

I am an affiliate with Spellbinders. When you shop the links below, I receive a small commission from the affiliate, at no additional cost to you. This helps me balance the costs of the time and love I put into my projects and blog so I can continue to share my ideas with you for FREE. If you shop the links, thank you! I greatly appreciate it.


Below are products that I used for this project.










Scrapbook.com

I am an affiliate with Scrapbook.com. When you shop the links below, I receive a small commission from the affiliate, at no additional cost to you. This helps me balance the costs of the time and love I put into my projects and blog so I can continue to share my ideas with you for FREE. If you shop the links, thank you! I greatly appreciate it.


Below are products that I used or similar products.











You May Also Like

0 comments

I'd love to hear your thoughts!