Mixed Media Monday: Mini Butterfly Vignette

by - 6:30:00 AM

Mixed media projects don't have to be big or a huge undertaking to make an impact.  

mixed media project made with Reneabouqets butterfly, chipboard, beautiful beads pearls, lace, paper flowers; Tim Holtz Distress Spray Stain salvaged patina and speckled egg, Distress Oxide Spray, Distress Glaze weathered wood; Scrapbook.com Pops of Color seafoam; Prima Marketing flower

Sometimes all you need is a small project with a few pretty elements to make a statement. For this particular mixed media project, I used the Tim Holtz vignette box measuring 3.25 x 4.75" and applied a thin layer of white gesso over so that my sprays over the top would appear pastel.

mixed media project made with Reneabouqets butterfly, chipboard, beautiful beads pearls, lace, paper flowers; Tim Holtz Distress Spray Stain salvaged patina and speckled egg, Distress Oxide Spray, Distress Glaze weathered wood; Scrapbook.com Pops of Color seafoam; Prima Marketing flower

Once the white gesso was dry, I applied some crackle paste in a few spots. Then once that was dry, I covered the box in salvaged patina Distress Oxide Spray. I misted it to get the oxidization happening then dried it with my heat tool. Then I sprayed on salvaged patina and speckled egg Distress Spray Stain  to layer the colors, misting with water to get them to mix and run nicely. 

mixed media project made with Reneabouqets butterfly, chipboard, beautiful beads pearls, lace, paper flowers; Tim Holtz Distress Spray Stain salvaged patina and speckled egg, Distress Oxide Spray, Distress Glaze weathered wood; Scrapbook.com Pops of Color seafoam; Prima Marketing flower

I left my box to dry overnight. The next day I applied some crocheted lace to the box using Distress Collage Medium. I then layered on a couple of Reneabouquets flowers and a Prima flower using heavy body gel. 

mixed media project made with Reneabouqets butterfly, chipboard, beautiful beads pearls, lace, paper flowers; Tim Holtz Distress Spray Stain salvaged patina and speckled egg, Distress Oxide Spray, Distress Glaze weathered wood; Scrapbook.com Pops of Color seafoam; Prima Marketing flower

Next I dabbed embossing ink onto so cut pieces of Reneabouquets chipboard and then covered them with Distress Glaze in weathered wood. I love the speckled appearance it has--it's almost like crackled glass. I tucked these bits of chipboard in, gliding it down with collage medium.

mixed media project made with Reneabouqets butterfly, chipboard, beautiful beads pearls, lace, paper flowers; Tim Holtz Distress Spray Stain salvaged patina and speckled egg, Distress Oxide Spray, Distress Glaze weathered wood; Scrapbook.com Pops of Color seafoam; Prima Marketing flower

Before putting the butterfly and pearls on, I wanted to add some splatters of shimmer. I piped a bit of Pops of Color in sea foam into a palette then watered it down with a couple of drops of water. I mixed it together then splattered it onto my project. 

mixed media project made with Reneabouqets butterfly, chipboard, beautiful beads pearls, lace, paper flowers; Tim Holtz Distress Spray Stain salvaged patina and speckled egg, Distress Oxide Spray, Distress Glaze weathered wood; Scrapbook.com Pops of Color seafoam; Prima Marketing flower

For the finishing touches, I added a Reneabouquets butterfly with a piece of foam adhesive to pop it up a bit more. I backed the foam with a sticky square to make sure it would really adhere. I also added some beautiful beads using Glossy Accents for just a little more shimmer and shine. 

mixed media project made with Reneabouqets butterfly, chipboard, beautiful beads pearls, lace, paper flowers; Tim Holtz Distress Spray Stain salvaged patina and speckled egg, Distress Oxide Spray, Distress Glaze weathered wood; Scrapbook.com Pops of Color seafoam; Prima Marketing flower

I hope you enjoyed this simple and easy mixed media tutorial! Until next time, happy crafting!
Adrienne

Shop the Supplies:


ReplicaSurfaces

Love the background I shot my photos on? They are  from Replica Surfaces, a company that makes rigid photo-realistic backgrounds. These are from a limited collection and are called Painted Sorbet and Iced Lavender. You can pick up your own backdrops from the regular catalogue with a 15% discount by shopping this link. When you do, I get a small commission from the sale at no extra cost to you, which helps me continue to provide you amazing tutorials and information, just like this blog post!


Reneabouquets

Beautiful Board Marquise Elements Laser Cut Chipboard

Beautiful Beads Bronzed Teal Iridescent Pearls

Phantasy Premium Paper Glitter Glass Butterflies

Seafoam Roses and Leaves Mulberry Paper Flowers


Scrapbook.com

I am an affiliate with Scrapbook.com. When you shop the links below, I receive a small commission from the affiliate, at no additional cost to you. This helps me balance the costs of the time and love I put into my projects and blog so I can continue to share my ideas with you for FREE. If you shop the links, thank you! I greatly appreciate it.


Below are products that I used or similar products.







mixed media project made with Reneabouqets butterfly, chipboard, beautiful beads pearls, lace, paper flowers; Tim Holtz Distress Spray Stain salvaged patina and speckled egg, Distress Oxide Spray, Distress Glaze weathered wood; Scrapbook.com Pops of Color seafoam; Prima Marketing flower





You May Also Like

0 comments

I'd love to hear your thoughts!