Lavender Watercolor Floral Mixed Media Canvas for Prima Marketing Color Day

by - 6:30:00 AM

I'm a gardener so any chance that I get to play with a collection that is all about flowers, I am definitely going to take advantage of the opportunity!

Mixed media canvas made with: Prima Marketing Watercolor Floral_Finnabair Opal Magic, Impasto paint; Tim Holtz Floral Outline stamp, Distress Oxide; Scrapbook.com Pops of Color; Reneabouquets lace, butterflies

Every month Prima Marketing does a color challenge and this month was all about lavender. I knew the perfect collection to use for this challenge was the Watercolor Floral collection. I absolutely adore this collection!

Mixed media canvas made with: Prima Marketing Watercolor Floral_Finnabair Opal Magic, Impasto paint; Tim Holtz Floral Outline stamp, Distress Oxide; Scrapbook.com Pops of Color; Reneabouquets lace, butterflies

I also incorporated some Finnabair mediums as well as elements from Tim Holtz, Reneabouquets, Pinkfresh Studio and Scrapbook.com. 

Mixed media canvas made with: Prima Marketing Watercolor Floral_Finnabair Opal Magic, Impasto paint; Tim Holtz Floral Outline stamp, Distress Oxide; Scrapbook.com Pops of Color; Reneabouquets lace, butterflies

I started by painting an 8x8 inch canvas with Lavender Impasto paint from Finnabair. Once the impasto was dry, I used the new Tim Holtz Stampers Anonymous floral outlines stamp to add texture to the canvas. To help me stamp on the canvas, I placed a small lidded container under the canvas so the surface was sturdy. I also used a static pad on the canvas before stamping my images. I then stamped the images using clear embossing ink then embossed the images using Ranger's Super Fine white embossing powder. I then painted, stamped and embossed a small wooden butterfly piece. 

Mixed media canvas made with: Prima Marketing Watercolor Floral_Finnabair Opal Magic, Impasto paint; Tim Holtz Floral Outline stamp, Distress Oxide; Scrapbook.com Pops of Color; Reneabouquets lace, butterflies

Next I used Distress Oxide Spray in Seedless Preserves to add a bit of watercolor to the stamped images. I began by watering a little bit down in a palette, blotting the excess off. I layered on color by using more and more concentrated versions of the oxide spray and blotting less. To add a little shimmer to the canvas and wood piece, I watered down a bit of Opal Magic paint in my palette and painted the leaves of the stamped images. I then splattered my canvas with the same Opal Magic paint and also watered down Pops of Color in Soft Lilac.

Mixed media canvas made with: Prima Marketing Watercolor Floral_Finnabair Opal Magic, Impasto paint; Tim Holtz Floral Outline stamp, Distress Oxide; Scrapbook.com Pops of Color; Reneabouquets lace, butterflies

While the canvas dried, I fussy cut a whole bunch of elements from Prima's Watercolor Floral collection and picked out some pieces of pre-cut ephemera. I then used a shaping tool to add a little more dimension to my ephemera pieces. 

Mixed media canvas made with: Prima Marketing Watercolor Floral_Finnabair Opal Magic, Impasto paint; Tim Holtz Floral Outline stamp, Distress Oxide; Scrapbook.com Pops of Color; Reneabouquets lace, butterflies

Once my canvas was all dry, I began layering on my elements, using a variety of adhesives. I started by placing some paper flowers onto the canvas using heavy body gel followed by the wooden butterfly piece that I attached with a small dab of hot glue to the flower directly under the center of it and Smart Glue where it touched the edges of other flowers. 

Mixed media canvas made with: Prima Marketing Watercolor Floral_Finnabair Opal Magic, Impasto paint; Tim Holtz Floral Outline stamp, Distress Oxide; Scrapbook.com Pops of Color; Reneabouquets lace, butterflies

I added some Reneabouquets lace to the left side of the canvas with a small dab of heavy body gel then popping a paper flower over the top edge of the lace with more of the same medium. Next I used Distress Collage Medium Matte to attach the ephemera to some of the paper flowers to "float" the ephemera over the canvas and flowers. I also used a small bit of foam adhesive to attach the large purple flower ephemera to the edge of the wooden butterfly. I also added a fussy cut sentiment to the upper left of the canvas with foam adhesive. 

Mixed media canvas made with: Prima Marketing Watercolor Floral_Finnabair Opal Magic, Impasto paint; Tim Holtz Floral Outline stamp, Distress Oxide; Scrapbook.com Pops of Color; Reneabouquets lace, butterflies

I tucked leaves in using Distress Collage Medium Matte the added another small flower and leaf ephemera to the top of the wooden butterfly. To finish it all off, I added a Reneabouquets butterfly using a bit more foam adhesive and used Glossy Accents to add a few Pinkfresh jewels. 

Mixed media canvas made with: Prima Marketing Watercolor Floral_Finnabair Opal Magic, Impasto paint; Tim Holtz Floral Outline stamp, Distress Oxide; Scrapbook.com Pops of Color; Reneabouquets lace, butterflies

I hope you enjoyed this mixed media canvas. I really love how the embossed and watercolor flowers turned out, so much so that I tried it on watercolor cardstock for another project! Until next time, happy crafting!
Adrienne

Shop the Supplies:


ReplicaSurfaces

Love the background I shot my photos on? It's from Replica Surfaces, a company that makes rigid photo-realistic backgrounds. This surface is called Shiplap and it's one of my favorite surfaces. You can pick up your own with a 15% discount by shopping this link. When you do, I get a small commission from the sale at no extra cost to you, which helps me continue to provide you amazing tutorials and information, just like this blog post!


Reneabouquets

Tiny Treasures Sweet Pea Lavender Glitter Glass Butterfly

Drop Leaf Lace


Scrapbook.com

I am an affiliate with Scrapbook.com. When you shop the links below, I receive a small commission from the affiliate, at no additional cost to you. This helps me balance the costs of the time and love I put into my projects and blog so I can continue to share my ideas with you for FREE. If you shop the links, thank you! I greatly appreciate it.


Below are products that I used or similar products.






Create pretty layers and texture with this tutorial using products from Prima Marketing, Tim Holtz, Reneabouquets and more!







You May Also Like

0 comments

I'd love to hear your thoughts!