Prima Marketing Color Day June 2021: Gold Shrine

by - 6:30:00 AM

I love a good excuse to use a set of tiny lights to create a gorgeous, lit project!

Golden Shrine made with Prima flowers, chipboard, melange, paint, memory hardware; Reneabouquets butterfly; Tim Holtz tiny lights and Pinkfresh crystals

Each first Friday of the month, Prima Marketing has a "color day." And while I'm getting to the party a little late, this month's color was gold. I knew I wanted to make a golden shrine that was regal enough for a queen. 

Golden Shrine made with Prima flowers, chipboard, melange, paint, memory hardware; Reneabouquets butterfly; Tim Holtz tiny lights and Pinkfresh crystals

The base of this project is made from half of a Prima Planner box! I then used chipboard to create the "cover." Inside and outside I used a stencil, with 3D gloss gel to create texture. I then painted it with a mix of lemon peel and snow white impasto paints. Over the top of that, I added some Distress Ink Spray in fossilized amber. Then to add shimmer and shine, I used watered down acrylic paste in gold rush and a watered down brass patina effect paste. 

Golden Shrine made with Prima flowers, chipboard, melange, paint, memory hardware; Reneabouquets butterfly; Tim Holtz tiny lights and Pinkfresh crystals

I did the same with some faux sides that I created for the inside of the box. This would allow me to hide some of the wiring from the tiny lights and bring them in a bit closer to the center of the box. It also allowed me a wider surface that I could later glue the cover onto, giving it more stability. This is because I created a U-shape with the pieces, glueing it to the bottom and then having a "table" on each side for the top to go onto. Prior to glueing in the pieces, I punched holes in the back and through one of the faux sides. I inserted the tiny lights and then glued them into place with a hot glue gun. 

Golden Shrine made with Prima flowers, chipboard, melange, paint, memory hardware; Reneabouquets butterfly; Tim Holtz tiny lights and Pinkfresh crystals

I painted the cut out from the cover plum and mounted it inside using some empty ribbon spools and foam adhesive. I painted a piece of chipboard using the same golden colors and glued it to the center of the purple piece. I then added a mould covered in the plum acrylic paint and gold wax. On top of that, I added flowers from several collections, a memory hardware crown, memory hardware pearls and vintage melange along with some crystals from Pinkfresh and nests of gold thread. 

Golden Shrine made with Prima flowers, chipboard, melange, paint, memory hardware; Reneabouquets butterfly; Tim Holtz tiny lights and Pinkfresh crystals

I then glued down the cover of the box and then trimmed the opening in a vintage gold colored embroidered trim. I added some resin flourishes colored with Distress Spray and gold wax, dabbing and rubbing off the excess. Then I added more flowers, gems and pearls. I also added some white gesso to the flowers and added some clear glitter. 

Golden Shrine made with Prima flowers, chipboard, melange, paint, memory hardware; Reneabouquets butterfly; Tim Holtz tiny lights and Pinkfresh crystals

To finish off the sides and back of the box, I used some My Mind's Eye papers in my stash with a deep golden yellow color. I also used it to create a little paper holder for the battery pack of the tiny lights. I used Scrapbook.com's 1/4" adhesive to glue all of these down so there wouldn't be any warping or wrinkling of the paper. 

Golden Shrine made with Prima flowers, chipboard, melange, paint, memory hardware; Reneabouquets butterfly; Tim Holtz tiny lights and Pinkfresh crystals

I hope you enjoyed this mixed media project! Until next time, happy crafting!
Adrienne


Shop the Supplies:


ReplicaSurfaces

Love the background I shot my photos on? It's from Replica Surfaces and I used Gloss Black and Weathered Wood. You can pick up your own with a 15% discount by shopping this link. When you do, I get a small commission from the sale at no extra cost to you, which helps me continue to provide you amazing tutorials and information, just like this blog post!


Reneabouquets

Tiny Treasures Champagne Premium Paper Butterflies Set


Scrapbook.com

I am an affiliate with Scrapbook.com. When you shop the links below, I receive a small commission from the affiliate, at no additional cost to you. This helps me balance the costs of the time and love I put into my projects and blog so I can continue to share my ideas with you for FREE. If you shop the links, thank you! I greatly appreciate it.


Below are some of the products that I used.





You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. Ooooooh seeing this on the blog is such a beautiful visual experience!! Love the lights and all the dimension.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a lot of fun to figure out how to hide the lights so they would create a soft glow.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!