Aqua Dreams Easy Mixed Media Canvas Tutorial with Sizzix

by - 6:00:00 AM

Highlighting texture on your mixed media projects is simple!

Aqua Dreams mixed media canvas created with: Sizzix agave creamy matte acrylic paint, pearlescent medium, dimensional paste, sequins mint julep, woodland stems die, muted cardstock surfacez; Rneabouqeuts butterflies, lace, glitter glass

Adding texture with pastes is simple, but if you don't want to mess with sprays and inks, there is one simple technique that will help you highlight that texture. I'll get more into that in a minute. 

Aqua Dreams mixed media canvas created with: Sizzix agave creamy matte acrylic paint, pearlescent medium, dimensional paste, sequins mint julep, woodland stems die, muted cardstock surfacez; Rneabouqeuts butterflies, lace, glitter glass

This mixed media project truly is a breeze to create and the results are so dreamy! But what is this super easy way of highlighting texture? Let's get into the tutorial so you can find out!


I used a 6 inch round canvas for this project and started by applying the Sizzix Dimensional Paste through a stencil using the Sizzix Effectz Multi-Tool. I really like this tool because you can switch out both ends with a cap or any of Sizzix's Multi-Tool heads. For this project, I used both sizes of palette knives, the wax tip from the Intricate set and the blending foam

Aqua Dreams mixed media canvas created with: Sizzix agave creamy matte acrylic paint, pearlescent medium, dimensional paste, sequins mint julep, woodland stems die, muted cardstock surfacez; Rneabouqeuts butterflies, lace, glitter glass

Once your stenciled texture is dry, use your favorite color of Sizzix Creamy Matte Acrylic Paint to cover the entire surface of the canvas. I used Agave--a pretty green-blue. 

Aqua Dreams mixed media canvas created with: Sizzix agave creamy matte acrylic paint, pearlescent medium, dimensional paste, sequins mint julep, woodland stems die, muted cardstock surfacez; Rneabouqeuts butterflies, lace, glitter glass

Now that the entire canvas is one color, we need to bring out that texture so you can begin to see it easily again. So here's that easy technique to highlight your texture! Switch out your Multi-Tool to have the blending foam on it. Open up the Sizzix Pearlescent Medium and gently dip the blending foam into the pearly medium--I dabbed some off of the lid. Then dab off the excess on a non-stick surface or a pice of plastic packaging. With very light pressure, gently blend and sweep the Pearlescent Medium over the top of the texture. If you find that you accidentally applied too much, just paint over the mistake with more of the Creamy Matte Acrylic Paint. 

Aqua Dreams mixed media canvas created with: Sizzix agave creamy matte acrylic paint, pearlescent medium, dimensional paste, sequins mint julep, woodland stems die, muted cardstock surfacez; Rneabouqeuts butterflies, lace, glitter glass

I love a good monochromatic project, but you don't have to make your's the same. But I do love adding lots of paper flowers, die cuts and butterflies to my projects! I previously made a swatch book of my Sizzix Muted Cardstock colors and pulled that out to see what would look best with the color of my paint. I selected Aqua and Eucalyptus to die cut from and cut out a few Woodland Stems from both colors. 

Aqua Dreams mixed media canvas created with: Sizzix agave creamy matte acrylic paint, pearlescent medium, dimensional paste, sequins mint julep, woodland stems die, muted cardstock surfacez; Rneabouqeuts butterflies, lace, glitter glass

I pulled out two resin medallion casts and dry fit them on the canvas with a few paper flowers. Dry fitting just means placing them on your project without adhesive to see how you want to arrange everything. I decided I liked the medallions, but wanted just a pop of white to this project. I painted on a bit of the Pearlescent Medium to both casts just to make them a little shimmery. 

Aqua Dreams mixed media canvas created with: Sizzix agave creamy matte acrylic paint, pearlescent medium, dimensional paste, sequins mint julep, woodland stems die, muted cardstock surfacez; Rneabouqeuts butterflies, lace, glitter glass

Once you have all of your elements ready, you can dry fit some more and then begin gluing down all of your paper flowers, die cuts and resin casts using Prima's Heavy Body Gel. This adhesive has a long work time so you can adjust your project as you go. But dry fitting first can help you feel less anxious about getting everything in place just how you want it before the adhesive starts to cure. 

Aqua Dreams mixed media canvas created with: Sizzix agave creamy matte acrylic paint, pearlescent medium, dimensional paste, sequins mint julep, woodland stems die, muted cardstock surfacez; Rneabouqeuts butterflies, lace, glitter glass

You can see how I stacked everything in my YouTube tutorial for this project. I also added in a little bit of lace from Reneabouquets. Pro Tip: To keep your layers of flowers even, use foam adhesive to pop up shorter flowers to ensure a level surface to glue your next layer of flowers to. As you practice stacking flowers in your various projects, it will get easier to create higher and higher flower clusters! 


It's always fun to add a little sparkle to paper flowers. For this, I used some Sequins from the Mint Julep mix and some Glitter Glass from Reneabouquets. Add just a little bit of Ranger's Glossy Accents to the edges of the flower petals. Add on your sequins, applying them with the wax tip or your fingers--whichever you find easier. Then add a little more Glossy Accents if needed and sprinkle the Glitter Glass over the top. Tap off the excess onto a piece of paper and make sure to pour it back into your jar. 

Aqua Dreams mixed media canvas created with: Sizzix agave creamy matte acrylic paint, pearlescent medium, dimensional paste, sequins mint julep, woodland stems die, muted cardstock surfacez; Rneabouqeuts butterflies, lace, glitter glass

Reneabouquets' Hearts of Glass match the heart shape of the Sizzix Sequins I used and add a nice little touch to this project. Add a little bit of Glossy Accents to the flat back and glue them down to your canvas (I did a little dry fitting first to see where I wanted to place them).

Aqua Dreams mixed media canvas created with: Sizzix agave creamy matte acrylic paint, pearlescent medium, dimensional paste, sequins mint julep, woodland stems die, muted cardstock surfacez; Rneabouqeuts butterflies, lace, glitter glass

The finishing touch is to add some Reneabouquets Into the Mystic and Sweat Pea butterflies. Gently bend the wings up on each butterfly and add them to your canvas with a small bit of Heavy Body Gel. I added one to the top of the flower cluster and one on each side of the flower cluster. I also added a Heart of Glass and some Sequins to the center of the largest butterfly. 

That's how easy it is to create a pretty canvas with highlighted stencil texture! Until next time, happy crafting!
Adrienne

Shop the Supplies:


Scrapbook.com & Sizzix

I am an affiliate with Scrapbook.com and Sizzix. When you shop the links below, I receive a small commission from the affiliate, at no additional cost to you. This helps me balance the costs of the time and love I put into my projects and blog so I can continue to share my ideas with you for FREE. If you shop the links, thank you! I greatly appreciate it.


Below are products that I used or similar products.






Reneabouquets

Below are the products that I used for this project




Amazon

I am an affiliate with Amazon. When you shop the links below, I receive a small commission from the affiliate, at no additional cost to you. This helps me balance the costs of the time and love I put into my projects and blog so I can continue to share my ideas with you for FREE. If you shop the links, thank you! I greatly appreciate it.


Below are the products I used for this project.










You May Also Like

0 comments

I'd love to hear your thoughts!