Tim Holtz Sizzix Christmas 2022: The Versatility of the Layered Plaid Die

by - 10:00:00 AM

I love a good versatile die. While plaid is often used in Christmas decor, you can use it any time of the year!

Plaid Christmas Card made with: Tim Holtz layered plaid and modern festive dies, metallic kraftstock, warms and cools kraft cardstock; Scrapbook.com celebration expressions stamp set, solar white cardstock; Ranger gold embossing powder; Pinkfresh gold pearls

Before I get into my two cards using the new Layered Plaid die, I want to thank Scrapbook.com for sending me a few of the new Tim Holtz Sizzix Christmas/Winter 2022 release dies to create with! Now on to the tutorial with this gorgeous background die!

Plaid Christmas Card made with: Tim Holtz layered plaid and modern festive dies, metallic kraftstock, warms and cools kraft cardstock; Scrapbook.com celebration expressions stamp set, solar white cardstock; Ranger gold embossing powder; Pinkfresh gold pearls

Simple background dies like this Layered Plaid die are perfect for year-round makes! So I wanted to show you the versatility of this die by doing one Christmas card and one Thanksgiving/Autumn card with it. But this is just a jumping off point! Just think of how cute this die would be in the spring for Easter in pastels with the Nested Peeps die from Scrapbook.com! 

Thanksgiving Autumn Card made with; Tim Holtz layered plaid and pumpkin duo dies, distress ink and oxide ink, mica stain, kraftstock; Scrapbook.com autumn leaves die, celebration expressions stamp; Pinkfresh jewels

For the Christmas card, I cut the Layered Plaid from metallic kraftstock, using red and black from the colors and classic metallics sets. For the autumn card, I used two shades of orange from the warms set of kraftstock. I also cut the base layer from smooth white cardstock for both. The red and black are so reminiscent of a farmhouse Christmas. 

Plaid Christmas Card made with: Tim Holtz layered plaid and modern festive dies, metallic kraftstock, warms and cools kraft cardstock; Scrapbook.com celebration expressions stamp set, solar white cardstock; Ranger gold embossing powder; Pinkfresh gold pearls

To make gluing these layers together easier, you can back your cardstock with a sheet of double sided adhesive before cutting or you can use a liquid adhesive like Collage Medium or Smart Glue. If like me, you aren’t always very good about lining things up on the first try, the liquid adhesive is much more forgiving because it has a small amount of work time. 

Thanksgiving Autumn Card made with; Tim Holtz layered plaid and pumpkin duo dies, distress ink and oxide ink, mica stain, kraftstock; Scrapbook.com autumn leaves die, celebration expressions stamp; Pinkfresh jewels

Once you have your Layered Plaid cuts glued together, add the piece to a card base using some Dotted Adhesive. Next, stamp out your sentiment and emboss it with Ranger’s Super Fine Embossing Powder in gold. For my stamps, I used Scrapbook.com’s Hi Fall and Celebration Expressions stamp sets. Trim down your sentiments to a strip and set aside for assembling at the end.

Plaid Christmas Card made with: Tim Holtz layered plaid and modern festive dies, metallic kraftstock, warms and cools kraft cardstock; Scrapbook.com celebration expressions stamp set, solar white cardstock; Ranger gold embossing powder; Pinkfresh gold pearls

For the Christmas card, I cut some of the Modern Festive dies, also from this new release from the warms and cools kraftstock sets. I then added a bit of Oxide Ink to those die cuts in vintage photo and rustic wilderness. It adds just that little bit of depth. Then add an it more dimension to the flower with a shaping tool. For the holly leaves, score down the center and fold on the score line. 

Thanksgiving Autumn Card made with; Tim Holtz layered plaid and pumpkin duo dies, distress ink and oxide ink, mica stain, kraftstock; Scrapbook.com autumn leaves die, celebration expressions stamp; Pinkfresh jewels

For the autumn card, I inked up some white cardstock in oranges and greens and distressed the ink with flecks of water. I cut the taller of the two pumpkins from the Pumpkin Duo die that was in the recent Halloween/Autumn die release. Use Collage Medium to glue your layers together. I had some previous Distress Spray backgrounds already using fossilized amber, fired brick, crackling campfire and Mica Stains in flickering candle and peppermint (or you can substitute with the newest mica stains). I cut some leaves out of those pieces with the Scrapbook.com autumn leaves die set

Plaid Christmas Card made with: Tim Holtz layered plaid and modern festive dies, metallic kraftstock, warms and cools kraft cardstock; Scrapbook.com celebration expressions stamp set, solar white cardstock; Ranger gold embossing powder; Pinkfresh gold pearls

To assemble the cards, adhere your sentiment strip with 1 inch foam adhesive. Then add on your other dies with foam adhesive and Collage Medium. Finish off your card with some metallic pearls or sparkly gems. And you are done! 

Thanks for joining me for another tutorial and be sure to head over to Scrapbook.com to pick up this super versatile die and your other favorites from this release! Until next time, happy crafting!
Adrienne

Shop the Supplies:


Scrapbook.com

I am an affiliate with Scrapbook.com. When you shop the links below, I receive a small commission from the affiliate, at no additional cost to you. This helps me balance the costs of the time and love I put into my projects and blog so I can continue to share my ideas with you for FREE. If you shop the links, thank you! I greatly appreciate it.


Below are products that I used or similar products.
















You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. These cards are simply beautiful! I know it's never easy layering these plaid dies. I haven't developed the patience for that yet. Loved your color choices. Thank you and good luck🤩

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!