Perspective Butterfly Mixed Media Canvas

by - 6:30:00 AM

I went outside of my comfort zone with this brightly colored mixed media canvas.  

Mixed media canvas made with: Tim Holtz perspective butterfly die, collage paper, distress ink spray, distress oxide spray, distress paint, distress mica spray; Prima flowers; lace

My style meeter usually has 2 settings: pastel shabby chic or dark and gothic. I know, I know...those are two very different styles. But the dark and gothic usually comes into play around Halloween when I let my dark side show. I hardly ever do bright and colorful but this project ended up taking me there. I definitely stuck to my floral roots, but the brighter yellow is a very unusual color for me to choose. But I think I like where it went.

Mixed media canvas made with: Tim Holtz perspective butterfly die, collage paper, distress ink spray, distress oxide spray, distress paint, distress mica spray; Prima flowers; lace

I started by painting the entire 8x8 inch canvas with Distress Paint in Mustard Seed. I made sure to spritz it as I went and blot extra color up (as Tim has said multiple times, Distress Paint is a little different because once it's dry, it's permanent and no longer water reactive). 

Once dry, I added a little bit of collage paper with matte Collage Medium. I then spritzed the canvas with a little bit of Distress Oxide Spray and Distress Spray Stain in Fossilized Amber for a bit more dimension and to make the canvas just a little less bright. Then to add a little more interest to the canvas, I used Distress Archival in Black Soot to add a bit of the script stamp from the Entomology stamp set

Mixed media canvas made with: Tim Holtz perspective butterfly die, collage paper, distress ink spray, distress oxide spray, distress paint, distress mica spray; Prima flowers; lace

Next I cut out the Perspective Butterfly from some black cardstock. I then traced the outline of it onto some white cardstock and cut this out with scissors. I then sprayed the white butterfly cut with Distress Spray Stain in Seedless Preserves as a base layer, then spritzed it with the Distress Mica Spray in Hocus Pocus

I covered the black Perspective Butterfly with embossing ink from the Distress Embossing Dabber then used some Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel (UTEE) from Ranger that I still had ferreted away in my stash. I saw someone in the Tim Holtz Addict Facebook group layer on clear embossing powder on the Perspective Moth die and loved the effect so I had to try it for myself!

Mixed media canvas made with: Tim Holtz perspective butterfly die, collage paper, distress ink spray, distress oxide spray, distress paint, distress mica spray; Prima flowers; lace

Next I glued the bodies of the two butterfly cuts together then gently bent the wings of both layers. I also used a large round bottle to shape the wings just a bit for more dimension. I then glued the butterfly, some paper flowers from Prima and some lace (spritzed with Seedless Preserves) onto the canvas. And to finish it off, I added a sticker sentiment and a few gems. 

Mixed media canvas made with: Tim Holtz perspective butterfly die, collage paper, distress ink spray, distress oxide spray, distress paint, distress mica spray; Prima flowers; lace

It's really different from my usual style but I'm glad I let myself just play and see where the make took me. I admit that I need to experiment a bit more so I can get out of my "style box" more often. I think doing so can lead to some fun new discoveries and help me improve my go to style even more! Until next time, happy crafting!
Adrienne

Shop the Supplies:


ReplicaSurfaces

Love the background I shot my photos on? It's from Replica Surfaces, a company that makes rigid photo-realistic backgrounds. This surface is called Shiplap. You can pick up your own with a 15% discount by shopping this link. When you do, I get a small commission from the sale at no extra cost to you, which helps me continue to provide you amazing tutorials and information, just like this blog post!


Scrapbook.com

I am an affiliate with Scrapbook.com. When you shop the links below, I receive a small commission from the affiliate, at no additional cost to you. This helps me balance the costs of the time and love I put into my projects and blog so I can continue to share my ideas with you for FREE. If you shop the links, thank you! I greatly appreciate it.


Below are some of the products that I used or similar products.



This canvas uses the Perspective Butterfly die and Distress products from Tim Holtz as well as Prima Marketing flowers to create a fun and pretty mixed media canvas.






You May Also Like

0 comments

I'd love to hear your thoughts!