Mixed Media Monday: Mountain Adventures Vignette

by - 6:30:00 AM

It's the start of a new month and that means another Mixed Media Monday!

Dollar Store mountain shapes altered with Tim Holtz floral outlines stamp, distress oxides; Prima Marketing watercolor floral collection; Finnabair paints; lace

I heave really been enjoying watercoloring in the new Tim Holtz Floral Outlines stamp. But this time, I've used it in a project I made for my niece. 

Dollar Store mountain shapes altered with Tim Holtz floral outlines stamp, distress oxides; Prima Marketing watercolor floral collection; Finnabair paints; lace

I found these triangle shapes at the Dollar Store a while back and have been planning a project with them or a while. But these shapes started out much more colorful. Below is a snapshot I took of the mountains before I did anything with them. They had a glossy background with more vibrant colors and plain pine wood. 

Dollar Store mountain shapes - before

To start this off, I painted the glossy background with white gesso to make sure what I would be glueing down inside would stick. I also dry brushed the sides of the triangles with impasto paint--two in lavender and one in mint.

Dollar Store mountain shapes altered with Tim Holtz floral outlines stamp, distress oxides; Prima Marketing watercolor floral collection; Finnabair paints; lace

I then traced each shape on watercolor paper, measured out and adjusted for the thickness of the sides and cut the triangles out. I then did the same watercolor technique as the recent lavender mixed media canvas, painting each with impasto, stamping, embossing with Ranger's Super Fine White and watercoloring the cardstock with Distress Oxide Sprays. I used collage medium to adhere it to the watercolor triangles inside the pieces.

Dollar Store mountain shapes altered with Tim Holtz floral outlines stamp, distress oxides; Prima Marketing watercolor floral collection; Finnabair paints; lace

I've seen Prima DT member Stacey Young add some white sticks to her projects lately and was feeling inspired by it (mine aren't as cool looking as hers, but I thought this would add a nice natural touch to a project all about the outdoors)! So I painted these with white gesso and then added a little crackle paste to them.

Dollar Store mountain shapes altered with Tim Holtz floral outlines stamp, distress oxides; Prima Marketing watercolor floral collection; Finnabair paints; lace

I also pulled out a few resin casts from the Watercolor Floral and Sent With Love collections and painted them with white gesso and then impasto in jade and aubergine. Once the paint was dry, I added a little Old White Wax

Dollar Store mountain shapes altered with Tim Holtz floral outlines stamp, distress oxides; Prima Marketing watercolor floral collection; Finnabair paints; lace

Once my sticks and resin pieces were dry, I began layering on all of my embellishments. I used paper flowers, ephemera, lace, butterflies and more to create a girly, bohemian look that matched the watercolor inserts. I used Distress Oxide in Salvaged Patina and Shaded Lilac to add a bit of color to the backs of the ephemera pieces and used shaping tools to give them some dimension before glueing them down. I also used a little glossy accents to add a little Reneabouquets glass glitter to the flowers. 

Dollar Store mountain shapes altered with Tim Holtz floral outlines stamp, distress oxides; Prima Marketing watercolor floral collection; Finnabair paints; lace

To finish off the backsides, I traced the triangles onto some patterned paper from the Prima Watercolor Floral collection. I cut the triangles out, distressed the edges, then used collage medium and a craft scraper to adhere them smoothly to the backs. I also added a few more flowers to the backsides of some of the ephemera to hide my foam adhesive. 

Dollar Store mountain shapes altered with Tim Holtz floral outlines stamp, distress oxides; Prima Marketing watercolor floral collection; Finnabair paints; lace

I really loved how these turned out and I think my sister and my little niece will too! Hope you enjoyed this quick little process tutorial! Until next time, happy crafting!
Adrienne

Shop the Supplies:


ReplicaSurfaces

Love the backgrounds I shot my photos on? They are from Replica Surfaces, a company that makes rigid photo-realistic backgrounds. These surfaces are Gloss White (special edition) and Shiplap. You can pick up your own with a 15% discount by shopping this link. When you do, I get a small commission from the sale at no extra cost to you, which helps me continue to provide you amazing tutorials and information, just like this blog post!


Reneabqouets

Gawdie Girl Glass Glitter in Ocean

Gawdie Girl Glass Glitter in Dark Purple


Scrapbook.com

I am an affiliate with Scrapbook.com. When you shop the links below, I receive a small commission from the affiliate, at no additional cost to you. This helps me balance the costs of the time and love I put into my projects and blog so I can continue to share my ideas with you for FREE. If you shop the links, thank you! I greatly appreciate it.


Below are products that I used or similar products.





Dollar Store mountain shapes altered with Tim Holtz floral outlines stamp, distress oxides; Prima Marketing watercolor floral collection; Finnabair paints; lace





You May Also Like

4 comments

I'd love to hear your thoughts!