Autumn Themed Mixed Media Vignette

by - 3:07:00 PM

I adore persimmon and teal as a color combination. You'll find both hues throughout my home decor year round, but that rusty orange color always makes me think of crunchy autumn leaves.

Autumn decor mixed media vignette made with: P13 Forest Tea Party papers; Reneabouquets butterfly, paper flowers, pearls, glitter glass, lace, chipboard; Tim Holtz Distress Glaze and Paint; Scrapbook.com Smart Glue and foam adhesive; Prima Marketing Finnabair copper metallic foil flakes

Today I'm sharing this mixed media autumn hued vignette. I couldn't resist creating another mixed media project this month!

Autumn decor mixed media vignette made with: P13 Forest Tea Party papers; Reneabouquets butterfly, paper flowers, pearls, glitter glass, lace, chipboard; Tim Holtz Distress Glaze and Paint; Scrapbook.com Smart Glue and foam adhesive; Prima Marketing Finnabair copper metallic foil flakes

We eat quite a bit of brie cheese in our house and I save the majority of the empty brie wheel boxes because they make great foundations for mixed media projects. To start this project off, I painted the top and sides with white gesso, just to create a clean and grippy base for adhesives and paint. 

Autumn decor mixed media vignette made with: P13 Forest Tea Party papers; Reneabouquets butterfly, paper flowers, pearls, glitter glass, lace, chipboard; Tim Holtz Distress Glaze and Paint; Scrapbook.com Smart Glue and foam adhesive; Prima Marketing Finnabair copper metallic foil flakes

Next I painted the sides of the box with Distress Paint in Rusty Hinge, splattering it with a bit of water to create a distressed reaction. Once it was dry, I splattered it with a bit of thinned white gesso. 

Autumn decor mixed media vignette made with: P13 Forest Tea Party papers; Reneabouquets butterfly, paper flowers, pearls, glitter glass, lace, chipboard; Tim Holtz Distress Glaze and Paint; Scrapbook.com Smart Glue and foam adhesive; Prima Marketing Finnabair copper metallic foil flakes

I then traced the box onto some patterned paper from the P13 Forest Tea Party collection. I cut it out, distressed the edges and then glued it down to the top of the brie box with collage medium. (Pro Tip: To create a smooth application of paper on a surface with liquid glue, use a craft scraper to spread the glue and to get air bubbles out.)

Autumn decor mixed media vignette made with: P13 Forest Tea Party papers; Reneabouquets butterfly, paper flowers, pearls, glitter glass, lace, chipboard; Tim Holtz Distress Glaze and Paint; Scrapbook.com Smart Glue and foam adhesive; Prima Marketing Finnabair copper metallic foil flakes

Then I applied little bits of Smart Glue here and there over the top of the paper. This glue remains tacky even after fully dried so it's perfect for adding foil. Once dry, I added Prima metallic coper flakes over the glue and then burnished it with a soft paint brush. (Make sure to overfill so you don't get adhesive in your paint brush bristles.)

Autumn decor mixed media vignette made with: P13 Forest Tea Party papers; Reneabouquets butterfly, paper flowers, pearls, glitter glass, lace, chipboard; Tim Holtz Distress Glaze and Paint; Scrapbook.com Smart Glue and foam adhesive; Prima Marketing Finnabair copper metallic foil flakes

Before assembling all the embellishments on my box, I wanted to get all of my little parts ready. First, I fussy cut several elements from P13's Forest Tea Party collection, including that sweet little fox! I also cut apart some Reneabouquets chipboard into smaller pieces. I used the Distress Embossing Dabber to add embossing ink to one side of the chipboard, then heat embossed Distress Glaze in Rusty Hinge on it. I love how the white base of this chipboard really makes the Distress Glaze color true and brighter. 

Autumn decor mixed media vignette made with: P13 Forest Tea Party papers; Reneabouquets butterfly, paper flowers, pearls, glitter glass, lace, chipboard; Tim Holtz Distress Glaze and Paint; Scrapbook.com Smart Glue and foam adhesive; Prima Marketing Finnabair copper metallic foil flakes

Now on to assembling all of my embellishments! Next I cut some scalloped lace from Reneabouquets and adhered it with a little bit of collage medium. I then used heavy body gel to glue down several Reneabouquets paper flowers. Placing these onto the lace really secures it to the project base. 

Autumn decor mixed media vignette made with: P13 Forest Tea Party papers; Reneabouquets butterfly, paper flowers, pearls, glitter glass, lace, chipboard; Tim Holtz Distress Glaze and Paint; Scrapbook.com Smart Glue and foam adhesive; Prima Marketing Finnabair copper metallic foil flakes

I then tucked the pieces of embossed chipboard in, adding some collage medium or foam adhesive to the back to help hold it in place. I used a shaping tool to add more dimension to the fussy cut elements (orange butterfly, fox and leaves). I also dabbed a bit of Distress Oxide in Crackling Campfire to the backs of some of the leaves using a domed foam blending tool. I then glued the fox down with foam adhesive, covering the foam adhesive popping up the chipboard underneath. I used collage medium for the other fussy cut elements. 

Autumn decor mixed media vignette made with: P13 Forest Tea Party papers; Reneabouquets butterfly, paper flowers, pearls, glitter glass, lace, chipboard; Tim Holtz Distress Glaze and Paint; Scrapbook.com Smart Glue and foam adhesive; Prima Marketing Finnabair copper metallic foil flakes

I then glued down a gorgeous Reneabouquets butterfly to the largest flower using a bit of Glossy Accents. I love these butterflies because they are so detailed and you can gently bend the wings for more dimension. And you can choose your antenna color (I went with copper for these because it matched the orange in the butterfly's wings). 

Autumn decor mixed media vignette made with: P13 Forest Tea Party papers; Reneabouquets butterfly, paper flowers, pearls, glitter glass, lace, chipboard; Tim Holtz Distress Glaze and Paint; Scrapbook.com Smart Glue and foam adhesive; Prima Marketing Finnabair copper metallic foil flakes

To finish it all off, I added some beautiful glass glitter to the orange flowers using Glossy Accents as well as some beautiful pearls in teal and bronze

I hope this project has gotten you into the mood for Autumn. While I do love my gardens and my bees, I also love fall, the crisp air, pumpkins and crunchy leaves. Plus I needed more fall decor (I have mostly Halloween). 

This Sunday I'll have a new scrapbook layout for you featuring fussy cut elements and stickers! Until then, happy crafting!
Adrienne

Shop the Supplies:


ReplicaSurfaces

Love the background I shot my photos on? It's from Replica Surfaces, a company that makes rigid photo-realistic backgrounds. This surface is called Toasted Marble. You can pick up your own with a 15% discount by shopping this link. When you do, I get a small commission from the sale at no extra cost to you, which helps me continue to provide you amazing tutorials and information, just like this blog post!


Reneabouquets

Secret Garden Premium Paper Glitter Glass Butterflies

Beautiful Board Circle Link Elements Laser Cut Chipboard

Scalloped Shell Lace White

Caramel and Sugar Roses, Gardenia and Leaves Flower Set

Mini Mint Green Roses and Leaves Flower Set

Gawdie Girl Rust Chunky German Glitter Glass

Beautiful Beads Bronzed Teal Iridescent Pearls


Scrapbook.com

I am an affiliate with Scrapbook.com. When you shop the links below, I receive a small commission from the affiliate, at no additional cost to you. This helps me balance the costs of the time and love I put into my projects and blog so I can continue to share my ideas with you for FREE. If you shop the links, thank you! I greatly appreciate it.


Below are products that I used or similar products.


 










You May Also Like

0 comments

I'd love to hear your thoughts!