How to Overcome a Creative Block with this Sizzix Mini Album Project

by - 6:00:00 AM

Creative blocks can be one of the most frustrating things for artists and makers. Here is one project that will help paper crafters get over any craft block or slump. 

Art journal mini albums created with various supplies from Sizzix, Tim Holtz, Pinkfresh Studio and Scrapbook.com

Earlier this month on my Instagram feed I shared this autumn inspired box made using the Sizzix Slotted Treat Box die designed by Eileen Hull. (You can get the supply list for the box by checking out my Scrapbook.com gallery post.)

Mini album box created with the Sizzix Slotted Treat Box Bigz die.

This treat box is indeed perfect for holding treats, but it’s also perfect for holding little mini albums or journals too! 

Art journal mini albums created with various supplies from Sizzix, Tim Holtz, Pinkfresh Studio and Scrapbook.com

Before I get into the creative block and mini albums portion, first I just want to talk about creating the box itself. It’s a Bigz die so I cut it out of chipboard, for a nice strong base. I also cut patterned paper to cover the inside and outside of the box. I used the Scrapbook.com 6x8 Cozy Patterned Paper Pad for this. Before gluing the inside pieces to the box and lid, I created a hinge for the lid from a strip of Texture Roll paper. This is a really strong paper from Sizzix that won’t tear—no matter how much you twist it or try to rip it. So no matter how often you open and close this lid, it won’t rip over time. 

Art journal mini albums created with various supplies from Sizzix, Tim Holtz, Pinkfresh Studio and Scrapbook.com

I also decorated the top or front of this box with a shaker. I used a plastic page protector, cutting it to size, inserting some sequins, then sealed it up with my Fuse tool. I added it to the front/top of the box with some double sided adhesive then added a frame of patterned paper over that to hide the adhesive. 

Art journal mini albums created with various supplies from Sizzix, Tim Holtz, Pinkfresh Studio and Scrapbook.com

Then I added on corner pieces cut from metallic kraft cardstock and a flower using the Tim Holtz Seasonal Sketch Die. The leaves were cut from a piece of white cardstock covered in double sided adhesive and then covered in metallic foil flakes.

Art journal mini albums created with various supplies from Sizzix, Tim Holtz, Pinkfresh Studio and Scrapbook.com

Now let’s talk about getting over a creative block with what goes inside this box. 

We all put a lot of pressure on ourselves, especially if we share our creations on social media, to constantly be creating and coming up with new ideas. But sometimes, you have to give yourself some grace and take the pressure off. It’s okay to create just for you! And that is what I intended for the contents of this box. 

Art journal mini albums created with various supplies from Sizzix, Tim Holtz, Pinkfresh Studio and Scrapbook.com

I wanted to create a bunch of small mini albums, or art journals. Each register was made out of two sheets of patterned paper (cut to 8 inches by 5.5 inches), then scored and folded in half. This creates a 6 page book plus a front and back (sized at 4 inches wide by 5.5 inches tall). I stapled each little book or register in the center to keep them together. And I made 13 of these little books.

Art journal mini albums created with various supplies from Sizzix, Tim Holtz, Pinkfresh Studio and Scrapbook.com

I know that sounds like a lot of little books. But I had absolutely no intention of decorating all 13 in one sitting. No. These little art journal books are for when I get in a creative rut, or when I just need to make something for myself. 

Art journal mini albums created with various supplies from Sizzix, Tim Holtz, Pinkfresh Studio and Scrapbook.com

Filling one book or even one or two pages of a book should be an stress-free project for you. Remember, these are just for you so there should be absolutely no pressure to create here. Give yourself room to experiment and play. Give yourself grace to mess up or not create something super amazing. Think of adding embellishments and die cuts to these pages as a brain teaser, or creative exercise. 

Art journal mini albums created with various supplies from Sizzix, Tim Holtz, Pinkfresh Studio and Scrapbook.com

Or maybe you can use a page to document a favorite technique, journal about your day, or just fill it with some of your favorite things. This is YOUR project for your eyes only. Fill up the page as much or as little as you want in any way you want. Every time you feel like you have too much pressure on you, or any time you are dealing with a creative block, take out a book and just PLAY! 

Art journal mini albums created with various supplies from Sizzix, Tim Holtz, Pinkfresh Studio and Scrapbook.com

Now with the idea that these are for your eyes only, you can see that I’ve shared some of the pages I’ve created here with you. This is just to show you what I intend to do with these books to help me get over a creative block or just have some fun playing. 

Art journal mini albums created with various supplies from Sizzix, Tim Holtz, Pinkfresh Studio and Scrapbook.com

I love layering die cuts and ephemera as well as adding jewels and lace so that is how I plan to fill up these books. Not every page is perfect and I’m okay with that. But this little box is going to sit on a shelf in my craft room, holding all these little books. And the next time I’m feeling down, in a creative rut, or feeling the anxiety and pressure of sharing amazing projects, I’m going to take a book out and just make a little something for myself. No pressure, no rules. 

Art journal mini albums created with various supplies from Sizzix, Tim Holtz, Pinkfresh Studio and Scrapbook.com

No matter how you fill up your little books, just remember to have some fun. In case you saw anything you loved from these little books or were inspired by, I’ve listed many of the supplies that I used below. Until next time, happy crafting!
Adrienne

Shop the Supplies:


Scrapbook.com & Sizzix

I am an affiliate with Scrapbook.com and Sizzix. When you shop the links below, I receive a small commission from the affiliate, at no additional cost to you. This helps me balance the costs of the time and love I put into my projects and blog so I can continue to share my ideas with you for FREE. If you shop the links, thank you! I greatly appreciate it.


Below are some of the products that I used for this project or similar ones.










You May Also Like

0 comments

I'd love to hear your thoughts!