Bespoke Merry Mixed Media Tag Tutorial

by - 9:00:00 AM

This is a tool that every crafter needs. I don't say that lightly, either. This all-in-one tool can help any paper crafter create bespoke cards, envelopes, tags, banners, boxes and more! 

Handmade mixed media Christmas tag with greenery and poinsettia flower made with products from Scrapbook.com, Sizzix, Tim Holtz and Prima Marketing.

Hey, crafty friends! I've partnered up with Scrapbook.com to bring you a video on their YouTube channel using the new Sizzix Scoring Board and Trimmer Tool. This tool is the one thing that every paper crafter needs because it allows you to create so many different bespoke makes. Scrapbook.com has exclusive for August 2023 if you want early access to it. 

Handmade mixed media Christmas tag with greenery and poinsettia flower made with products from Scrapbook.com, Sizzix, Tim Holtz and Prima Marketing.

I just want to go over a few of the things that I absolutely love about this new tool. First, you get a trimmer, scoreboard and 3 different punches all in one place, which means it takes up way less space in your craft room. 


Second, I love that you can easily switch between inches and centimeters by flipping over the ruler and sliding out and flipping over the scoreboard. Finally, the hub rotates, allowing you to cut on a diagonal, so you can create tags and envelopes with ease. And speaking of tags, that is what I'm going to teach you how to make in this tutorial.

Handmade mixed media Christmas tag with greenery and poinsettia flower made with products from Scrapbook.com, Sizzix, Tim Holtz and Prima Marketing.

I start out by cutting down a piece of 8.5x11 inch Ultra Thick Solar White Cardstock to 3 inches by 7 inches, using the mint ruler to find and line up your measurements. To operate the hub, pull up on the round knob (it's on a spring). I rotate the mint ruler to the 45 degree mark. I line up the bottom of the tag with the 9 3/4 inch mark and cut off the corner. To trim off the other corner, I flip the tag over, again lining up the bottom of the tag with the 9 3/4 inch mark and make my cut. To finish making the base of  the tag, I use the hole punch to add the hole in the center top of the tag. So easy, right!? 

Handmade mixed media Christmas tag with greenery and poinsettia flower made with products from Scrapbook.com, Sizzix, Tim Holtz and Prima Marketing.

Now let's get to the mixed media portion of this merry little Christmas gift tag. I place the tag on the Scrapbook.com Project Grip Mat. This silicone mat grips on to your cardstock, stencils, inks and more while you work plus it's easy to clean. I then add the Winter Flurry stencil over the top and press the edges of it into the mat to help it stay in place. I use a palette knife to apply Cloud Whip through the stencil. (Make sure you scrape off the excess and wash your stencil and palette knife right away.)

Handmade mixed media Christmas tag with greenery and poinsettia flower made with products from Scrapbook.com, Sizzix, Tim Holtz and Prima Marketing.

I let my tag air dry. (If you heat it with your heat tool, the Cloud Whip puffs up and creates a resist effect with Distress sprays, so keep that in mind.) While it dries, I work on creating the die cut embellishment focal point of the tag. I use the Cozy Foliage and Festive Foliage dies to cut out leaves, sprigs and poinsettias from some Sizzix Muted Cardstock in greens and a dark pink. 

Handmade mixed media Christmas tag with greenery and poinsettia flower made with products from Scrapbook.com, Sizzix, Tim Holtz and Prima Marketing.

Back over on the project grip, I add some shading to the die cuts with Distress Oxide Inks in Victorian Velvet and Cracked Pistachio. To apply the inks, I use two of the small Flawless Blending Brushes from the Tiny Details Variety 3 Pack. Then I give the petals and leaves a little bit of shape with some shaping tools.

Handmade mixed media Christmas tag with greenery and poinsettia flower made with products from Scrapbook.com, Sizzix, Tim Holtz and Prima Marketing.

Once the Cloud Whip on the tag is dry, I spritz on Distress Spray Stain and Oxide Spray in Evergreen Bough as well as Distress Mica Stain in Merry Mint. I like to saturate my backgrounds first, helping the inks flow with water. Then I dry the tag. To add more depth, I do some ink smooshing and splattering. Make sure you dry in between each layer to lock in your layers, otherwise you'll get a muddy mess. 

Handmade mixed media Christmas tag with greenery and poinsettia flower made with products from Scrapbook.com, Sizzix, Tim Holtz and Prima Marketing.

To assemble, I start by sewing on some lace from the new Prima Marketing Christmas Market collection. You can also opt to use liquid adhesive for this if you don't like to sew or don't have a sewing machine. I also pull out both ephemera packs from that same collection that I might like to use. (Pro tip: use the new Scrapbook.com Stack-n-Sort Trays to help you rummage through and organize your ephemera). 

Handmade mixed media Christmas tag with greenery and poinsettia flower made with products from Scrapbook.com, Sizzix, Tim Holtz and Prima Marketing.

To give the poinsettia more dimension, I put foam adhesive between each layer. I then dry fit the poinsettia and leaves on before gluing them in place with foam adhesive and Distress Collage Medium Matte. The ephemera gets popped on with some foam adhesive. To give your project more depth, try adding multiple layers of foam adhesive to some pieces to create different heights.

Handmade mixed media Christmas tag with greenery and poinsettia flower made with products from Scrapbook.com, Sizzix, Tim Holtz and Prima Marketing.

The finishing touches include a puffy sticker from the Christmas Market collection, some jewels from Pinkfresh Studio, and some light pink Velvet Trim from Tim Holtz. 

Stay tuned for even more inspiration using this amazing new tool as I create makes as part of the Sizzix Design Team as well. Until next time, happy crafting!
Adrienne

Shop the Supplies:


Scrapbook.com

I am an affiliate with Scrapbook.com. When you shop the links below, I receive a small commission from the affiliate, at no additional cost to you. This helps me balance the costs of the time and love I put into my projects and blog so I can continue to share my ideas with you for FREE. If you shop the links, thank you! I greatly appreciate it.


Below are products that I used or similar products.











You May Also Like

0 comments

I'd love to hear your thoughts!