Plaid Pumpkin Simple Mixed Media Piece with Reneabouquets

by - 5:00:00 AM

If you are nervous about where to start with a mixed media project, sometimes you can skip the art mediums and just use chipboard, paper and embellishments to create a simple vignette. 

Plaid Pumpkin Mixed Media made with Reneabouquets stacked pumpkin chipboard, butterflies, paper flowers; Prima Marketing hello pink autumn paper; Tim Holtz oak leaf impresslits, distress spray; Pinkfresh Studio metallic gold pearls

I've set myself a new goal for crafting (in anticipation of the New Year) that I would try my hand at more simple projects. I have a tendency to go all out when it comes to my makes, adding tons of elements and layers, but sometimes there is something so satisfying about a more simple project. But don't worry, I still plan on keeping these projects super inspiring and sharing some of my more involved makes too! 

Plaid Pumpkin Mixed Media made with Reneabouquets stacked pumpkin chipboard, butterflies, paper flowers; Prima Marketing hello pink autumn paper; Tim Holtz oak leaf impresslits, distress spray; Pinkfresh Studio metallic gold pearls

Mixed media doesn't have to be complicated. Really! So if you are wanting to try out mixed media for the first time, you can skip the art mediums and focus on adding a variety of types of embellishments instead. This particular project combines paper, chipboard, lace, paper flowers, butterflies and pearls. 

Plaid Pumpkin Mixed Media made with Reneabouquets stacked pumpkin chipboard, butterflies, paper flowers; Prima Marketing hello pink autumn paper; Tim Holtz oak leaf impresslits, distress spray; Pinkfresh Studio metallic gold pearls

I started out by tracing the Reneabouquets stackable pumpkin patch base chipboard piece onto a piece of paper from the Prima Hello Pink Autumn 6x6 pad. I used a swivel craft knife and small scissors to cut the shape out of the paper. To glue the paper onto the base chipboard, I used Distress Collage Medium. I then glued the stacking layer of this pumpkin on top using collage medium.

Plaid Pumpkin Mixed Media made with Reneabouquets stacked pumpkin chipboard, butterflies, paper flowers; Prima Marketing hello pink autumn paper; Tim Holtz oak leaf impresslits, distress spray; Pinkfresh Studio metallic gold pearls

I then sprayed a piece of white cardstock with a few color mists. I used Distress Oxide Spray and Distress Spray Stain in seedless preserves as well as Color Bloom in black tulip. I spritzed with a bit of water and then dried the paper. I spritzed both sides of the paper with water and then ran it through my die cut machine with the oak leaf Impresslit from Tim Holtz, cutting out two sets. 

Plaid Pumpkin Mixed Media made with Reneabouquets stacked pumpkin chipboard, butterflies, paper flowers; Prima Marketing hello pink autumn paper; Tim Holtz oak leaf impresslits, distress spray; Pinkfresh Studio metallic gold pearls

To assemble, I added on some Reneabouquets paper flowers, gluing them down with heavy body gel (you can use collage medium instead, if you want). I tucked in the two smaller oak leaves under the flowers as well as some of the leaves that come with the paper flowers from Reneabouquets. I added a dab of collage medium to the back of a small piece of gold lace and tucked it in near the flowers. 

Plaid Pumpkin Mixed Media made with Reneabouquets stacked pumpkin chipboard, butterflies, paper flowers; Prima Marketing hello pink autumn paper; Tim Holtz oak leaf impresslits, distress spray; Pinkfresh Studio metallic gold pearls

I then gently bent the wings on two Lady Godiva butterflies from Reneabouquets and added one on top of the largest flower with a dab of collage medium and the other onto the other side of the pumpkin. To finish it off, I added a few metallic gold pearls from Pinkfresh Studio. And that's it! I'm glad I managed to squeeze in one more autumn themed project before Thanksgiving. Until next time, happy crafting!
Adrienne

ReplicaSurfaces

Love the background I shot my photos on? It's from Replica Surfaces, a company that makes rigid photo-realistic backgrounds. This surface is called White Lights (a limited edition holiday surface). You can pick up your own with a 15% discount by shopping this link. When you do, I get a small commission from the sale at no extra cost to you, which helps me continue to provide you amazing tutorials and information, just like this blog post!


Reneabouquets

Beautiful Board Stackable Pumpkin Patch

Tiny Treasures Lady Godiva Butterflies

Vintage Berry Roses and Gardenias


Scrapbook.com

I am an affiliate with Scrapbook.com. When you shop the links below, I receive a small commission from the affiliate, at no additional cost to you. This helps me balance the costs of the time and love I put into my projects and blog so I can continue to share my ideas with you for FREE. If you shop the links, thank you! I greatly appreciate it.


Below are products that I used or similar products.











 

You May Also Like

0 comments

I'd love to hear your thoughts!