Strawberry Lemonade Mixed Media Project with Watercolored Flowers

by - 6:00:00 AM

Hot summer days are meant for sipping ice cold strawberry lemonade. 

Strawberry lemonade mixed media created with: Prima Marketing spring abstract paper, flowers, ephemera, strawberry milkshake flowers, moulds, charms, finnabair white gesso, memory hardware pearls; Art Philosophy pastel dreams watercolor set; Reneabouquets lemon blossom chipboard, lace

So to celebrate summer, I created and strawberry lemonade inspired project using Prima’s Spring Abstract and Strawberry Milkshake collections. Spring Abstract has golden yellows, pretty pinks and lemon ephemera. And the Strawberry Milkshake collection has the cutest strawberry moulds and charms! 

Strawberry lemonade mixed media created with: Prima Marketing spring abstract paper, flowers, ephemera, strawberry milkshake flowers, moulds, charms, finnabair white gesso, memory hardware pearls; Art Philosophy pastel dreams watercolor set; Reneabouquets lemon blossom chipboard, lace

Before covering the laser cut wood lemon base, I painted the edges white. You can use white gesso or white impasto paint. I then covered the lemon with papers from the Spring Abstract collection. I chose a yellow 12x12 sheet for the lemon and a pink 6x6 sheet for the leaves, distressing the edges before gluing them down. From some of the remaining patterned paper, I die cut some leaves to add in among my flower clusters. 

Strawberry lemonade mixed media created with: Prima Marketing spring abstract paper, flowers, ephemera, strawberry milkshake flowers, moulds, charms, finnabair white gesso, memory hardware pearls; Art Philosophy pastel dreams watercolor set; Reneabouquets lemon blossom chipboard, lace

I wanted to watercolor the strawberry moulds and some of the white flowers from the Spring Abstract collection. Because I cast my moulds from resin, I first painted them with white gesso. I also decided to paint one of the enamel strawberry charms in pastels to match, so I also painted it with white gesso as well.

Strawberry lemonade mixed media created with: Prima Marketing spring abstract paper, flowers, ephemera, strawberry milkshake flowers, moulds, charms, finnabair white gesso, memory hardware pearls; Art Philosophy pastel dreams watercolor set; Reneabouquets lemon blossom chipboard, lace

Once the gesso was dry, I used some paints from the Art Philosophy Pastel Dreams Watercolors set. I used two shades of pink for some of the white flowers as well as the strawberry charm and moulds. The strawberry tops got a dose of a pretty pastel green. I also watercolored the flowers with the same two pink hues. 

Strawberry lemonade mixed media created with: Prima Marketing spring abstract paper, flowers, ephemera, strawberry milkshake flowers, moulds, charms, finnabair white gesso, memory hardware pearls; Art Philosophy pastel dreams watercolor set; Reneabouquets lemon blossom chipboard, lace

I also painted some of the small white flowers and larger white flowers with a yellow and orange watercolor from the set. They ended up in some of the bottom layers of my flower cluster so you can’t see much of the orangey-yellow flowers, but I know they are in there, so that’s what really counts!


To watercolor the flowers, I used the darker shade on the small petals around the center of the flower. The lighter color got used on the larger petals. I put a small dab of more concentrated watercolor on the inner part of each petal. Then I dipped my brush in water to wet it, dabbed it on the concentrated watercolor on the flower petal, and pulled the brush toward the edge of each petal. This creates a pretty ombré effect on each petal! 

Strawberry lemonade mixed media created with: Prima Marketing spring abstract paper, flowers, ephemera, strawberry milkshake flowers, moulds, charms, finnabair white gesso, memory hardware pearls; Art Philosophy pastel dreams watercolor set; Reneabouquets lemon blossom chipboard, lace

I cut up the sprig from the Strawberry Milkshake collection, taking some of the flowers from the top of the sprig to sprinkle the little flowers and leaves throughout the project. I love these sprigs because you can cut them up and use the leaves and flowers individually, cut it into two halves to use, or use the entire piece!

Strawberry lemonade mixed media created with: Prima Marketing spring abstract paper, flowers, ephemera, strawberry milkshake flowers, moulds, charms, finnabair white gesso, memory hardware pearls; Art Philosophy pastel dreams watercolor set; Reneabouquets lemon blossom chipboard, lace

I built up the cluster of flowers, tucking in some die cut leaves, lace flowers, lemon ephemera and some printed Lemon Blossom Chipboard pieces from Reneabouquets. I tucked in one of the strawberry moulds among the bottom layer of flowers and added another to the top of the cluster. 

Strawberry lemonade mixed media created with: Prima Marketing spring abstract paper, flowers, ephemera, strawberry milkshake flowers, moulds, charms, finnabair white gesso, memory hardware pearls; Art Philosophy pastel dreams watercolor set; Reneabouquets lemon blossom chipboard, lace

I wet some seam binding and crinkled it. I tied it into a bow around the stem of the wood lemon piece, adding the watercolored strawberry charm with another jump ring. To finish it all off, I tucked some Memory Hardware Pearls in cream and pink in several of the flowers. 

I think this piece turned out so adorable and would be perfect to display on a tray for summer or hang on a wall! I hope that you take the watercolor flower technique to use in your next project. Be sure to tag me on socials if you share so I can cheer on your amazing work!
Until next time, happy crafting!
Adrienne 

Shop the Supplies:


Scrapbook.com

I am an affiliate with Scrapbook.com. When you shop the links below, I receive a small commission from the affiliate, at no additional cost to you. This helps me balance the costs of the time and love I put into my projects and blog so I can continue to share my ideas with you for FREE. If you shop the links, thank you! I greatly appreciate it.


Below are products that I used or similar products.
















You May Also Like

0 comments

I'd love to hear your thoughts!