Prismatic Sunflower Mixed Media Card Tutorial

by - 12:01:00 AM

If you aren't an expert in mixed media, this simple technique will be easy to add in to your cards and other paper craft projects. 

Mixed media card created with: The Crafters Workshop daisy spread slimline stencil; stencil butter pearl white and champagne gold; Scrapbook.com sunny lane florals, delicate leaves; Spellbinders glimmer aura and copper foil; Pinkfresh espresso jewels

I love mixed media pastes that are simple and easy to use! And these stencil butters from The Crafters Workshop fit that bill perfectly. 

Mixed media card created with: The Crafters Workshop daisy spread slimline stencil; stencil butter pearl white and champagne gold; Scrapbook.com sunny lane florals, delicate leaves; Spellbinders glimmer aura and copper foil; Pinkfresh espresso jewels

They are smooth and creamy and apply beautifully through stencils. They are gorgeous on their own, but they also mix well. I love to create custom pastel colors by mixing in the Pearl White with other colors. 

Mixed media card created with: The Crafters Workshop daisy spread slimline stencil; stencil butter pearl white and champagne gold; Scrapbook.com sunny lane florals, delicate leaves; Spellbinders glimmer aura and copper foil; Pinkfresh espresso jewels

This card is similar to the set of pansy cards I shared previously here on my blog and on my Instagram. It was such a popular project, that I thought I would do another version, but add in an additional technique. I also thought I would create a YouTube tutorial for this card, which you'll find embedded below.


Just like the pansy cards, I mixed my own custom pastel hue. This time I made a soft golden yellow using the Pearl White and Champagne Gold stencil butters. This truly is a gorgeous soft gold that reminds me of the pastel yellows you find all over Austria. The Mozarteum concert hall is a great example of that soft gold. I then spread this mixture through a pretty floral stencil from The Crafters Workshop. 

Mixed media card created with: The Crafters Workshop daisy spread slimline stencil; stencil butter pearl white and champagne gold; Scrapbook.com sunny lane florals, delicate leaves; Spellbinders glimmer aura and copper foil; Pinkfresh espresso jewels

And again like last time, I created some inked backgrounds to die cut from. This time, I did less inking because I'll be die cutting from another material, but more on that in a moment. I selected Fossilized Amber and for a layer of the sunflowers I planned on cutting out. I also selected Vintage Photo for the brown centers of the flowers. 

Mixed media card created with: The Crafters Workshop daisy spread slimline stencil; stencil butter pearl white and champagne gold; Scrapbook.com sunny lane florals, delicate leaves; Spellbinders glimmer aura and copper foil; Pinkfresh espresso jewels

I then added some dimension to the cut flowers by applying Ripe Persimmon to the tips of the flower petals using my domed foam blending tool. I also die cut two Nested Circles and embossed the larger of the two using the Tile Reflection embossing folder. 

Mixed media card created with: The Crafters Workshop daisy spread slimline stencil; stencil butter pearl white and champagne gold; Scrapbook.com sunny lane florals, delicate leaves; Spellbinders glimmer aura and copper foil; Pinkfresh espresso jewels

Here is where the additional technique comes in. I discovered die cutting from a solid rectangle of hot foil. For this, I use my Spellbinders Glimmer Platform, my Platinum 6 die cut machine, the Glimmer Essentials Solid Rectangle and the Aura hot foil roll. 

Mixed media card created with: The Crafters Workshop daisy spread slimline stencil; stencil butter pearl white and champagne gold; Scrapbook.com sunny lane florals, delicate leaves; Spellbinders glimmer aura and copper foil; Pinkfresh espresso jewels

I trim down 2 sheets of foil and hot foil them onto smooth white cardstock. I'm still not a master at the perfect hot foil, but that okay. For this application, I love the distressed look of the imperfect foil. If you like a perfect foil but don't get a perfect one, know that you can foil over foil for better application. 

Mixed media card created with: The Crafters Workshop daisy spread slimline stencil; stencil butter pearl white and champagne gold; Scrapbook.com sunny lane florals, delicate leaves; Spellbinders glimmer aura and copper foil; Pinkfresh espresso jewels

I then die cut some leaves from the Delicate Leaves die set and I cut the same flower again from the Aura foiled sheets. To add some more dimension, I using my shaping tools to gently add shape to the foiled leaves and flowers as well as the inked flowers. 

Mixed media card created with: The Crafters Workshop daisy spread slimline stencil; stencil butter pearl white and champagne gold; Scrapbook.com sunny lane florals, delicate leaves; Spellbinders glimmer aura and copper foil; Pinkfresh espresso jewels

I won't go to much into assembly as you can see that in my video tutorial above, but I did use a combination of liquid and foam adhesive. I also added some gems, and after seeing the brown gems, I decided I needed some copper foil leaves to add in some contrast. After adding those elements, I double matted the card with two colors of smooth cardstock. And that's it! I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and until next time, happy crafting!
Adrienne

Shop the Supplies:


Scrapbook.com & Spellbinders

I am an affiliate with Scrapbook.com and Spellbinders. When you shop the links below, I receive a small commission from the affiliate, at no additional cost to you. This helps me balance the costs of the time and love I put into my projects and blog so I can continue to share my ideas with you for FREE. If you shop the links, thank you! I greatly appreciate it.


Below are products that I used or similar products.














You May Also Like

0 comments

I'd love to hear your thoughts!