Hey Pop Father's Day Popsicle Pun Card Tutorial

by - 6:00:00 PM

What Father's Day card is complete without a good dad joke or pun?

Popsicle Father's Day Card with Dad Joke created with: Scrapbook.com Pops of Color in summer peach, sunshine yellow, key lime and coral sunset, harvest, sherbet and floral smooth cardstock, festive alphabet die; Tim Holtz stacked rectangles, walnut distress oxide; Spellbinders artful brush die; Pinkfresh jewels

So I thought how fun would it be to have a "Hey Pop" card with popsicles tinted with Pops of Color!? I know, right?! I think my dad would appreciate this level of dad pun. 

Popsicle Father's Day Card with Dad Joke created with: Scrapbook.com Pops of Color in summer peach, sunshine yellow, key lime and coral sunset, harvest, sherbet and floral smooth cardstock, festive alphabet die; Tim Holtz stacked rectangles, walnut distress oxide; Spellbinders artful brush die; Pinkfresh jewels

This card is super easy to create! I started by scraping two colors of Pops of Color onto a piece of solar white cardstock. For one sheet, I did summer peach and coral sunset, and for the other I did sunshine yellow and key lime. Simply squeeze a line of each color near the edge of the cardstock and then scrape it across the cardstock with a craft scraper, adding more Pops if needed. 

Popsicle Father's Day Card with Dad Joke created with: Scrapbook.com Pops of Color in summer peach, sunshine yellow, key lime and coral sunset, harvest, sherbet and floral smooth cardstock, festive alphabet die; Tim Holtz stacked rectangles, walnut distress oxide; Spellbinders artful brush die; Pinkfresh jewels

Depending on how thick you add on the Pops, it should dry really quickly. And you want to make sure that this is totally dry before running it through your die cut machine or you'll get paint all over your cutting pads. So while that was drying, I added a drop water to a small squeeze of each of those Pops colors and then splattered the paint onto a white slimline mat. Set this aside to dry as well.

Popsicle Father's Day Card with Dad Joke created with: Scrapbook.com Pops of Color in summer peach, sunshine yellow, key lime and coral sunset, harvest, sherbet and floral smooth cardstock, festive alphabet die; Tim Holtz stacked rectangles, walnut distress oxide; Spellbinders artful brush die; Pinkfresh jewels

Once the sheets of ombre Pops are dry, cut out 3 rectangles. I used the Tim Holtz stacked rectangles for this. I then used a corner rounder to round one set of corners. This might take a little muscle depending on how thick you applied your Pops. You can also just use a good set of scissors. Set these aside for later.

Popsicle Father's Day Card with Dad Joke created with: Scrapbook.com Pops of Color in summer peach, sunshine yellow, key lime and coral sunset, harvest, sherbet and floral smooth cardstock, festive alphabet die; Tim Holtz stacked rectangles, walnut distress oxide; Spellbinders artful brush die; Pinkfresh jewels

I needed a popsicle stick for my sweet treats. I used the Artful Brush die from Spellbinders, cutting it from a brown cardstock from the Harvest A2 smooth cardstock pad. This paintbrush die handle is the perfect size and it embosses the cardstock with a pretty woodgrain texture. I then swiped Distress Oxide in walnut stain directly across these brush handles to highlight that woodgrain. If you get a little heavy handed when swiping your ink pad across, just give it a spritz of water and dab with a soft cloth to lift some of that ink. 

Popsicle Father's Day Card with Dad Joke created with: Scrapbook.com Pops of Color in summer peach, sunshine yellow, key lime and coral sunset, harvest, sherbet and floral smooth cardstock, festive alphabet die; Tim Holtz stacked rectangles, walnut distress oxide; Spellbinders artful brush die; Pinkfresh jewels

Before assembling my card, I wanted to die cut and assemble my sentiment. I chose a yellow cardstock from the Sherbet A2 pad and a green cardstock from the Floral A2 pad for my letters. I cut out Hey Pop using the Festive alphabet dies from Scrapbook.com. I cut two layers of yellow and one layer of green, creating a yellow drop shadow with the die cuts. I used Smart Glue to glue all the layers together. (A pair of fine tipped tweezers comes in handy for lining up your layers just right!)

Popsicle Father's Day Card with Dad Joke created with: Scrapbook.com Pops of Color in summer peach, sunshine yellow, key lime and coral sunset, harvest, sherbet and floral smooth cardstock, festive alphabet die; Tim Holtz stacked rectangles, walnut distress oxide; Spellbinders artful brush die; Pinkfresh jewels

To assemble, I started by tying a bit of yellow jute twine around the card matte with splatters. I then layered on my popsicles and sentiment using lots of foam adhesive. The popsicle sticks have one layer of foam and the popsicles have two layers of foam. I varied the heights of my letters too--the H and O have two layers of foam.

Popsicle Father's Day Card with Dad Joke created with: Scrapbook.com Pops of Color in summer peach, sunshine yellow, key lime and coral sunset, harvest, sherbet and floral smooth cardstock, festive alphabet die; Tim Holtz stacked rectangles, walnut distress oxide; Spellbinders artful brush die; Pinkfresh jewels

The finishing touch on this card is a layer of yellow drips on the center popsicle. I ended up doing two layers of the big drips and two little raindrops of drips. (Check out my raindrops umbrella card video for my technique on how to create raindrops with your Pops of Color.) And then I added a few orange jewels from Pinkfresh that remind me of orange sherbet. And that's it! I think this is the perfect, summery Father's Day card. Until next time, happy crafting!
Adrienne

Shop the Supplies:


ReplicaSurfaces

Love the background I shot my photos on? It's from Replica Surfaces, a company that makes rigid photo-realistic backgrounds. This surface is called Weathered Wood. You can pick up your own with a 15% discount by shopping this link. When you do, I get a small commission from the sale at no extra cost to you, which helps me continue to provide you amazing tutorials and information, just like this blog post!


Scrapbook.com

I am an affiliate with Scrapbook.com. When you shop the links below, I receive a small commission from the affiliate, at no additional cost to you. This helps me balance the costs of the time and love I put into my projects and blog so I can continue to share my ideas with you for FREE. If you shop the links, thank you! I greatly appreciate it.


Below are products that I used or similar products.








You May Also Like

0 comments

I'd love to hear your thoughts!