Correcting a Mixed Media Background + Using Different Adhesives To Create Tall Embellishment Clusters

by - 7:00:00 AM

Have you ever created a background you didn't love? Or maybe you are curious about how I build such tall embellishment clusters? Then you are in luck! This mixed media tutorial will teach you how to "correct" a background you are unhappy with plus you'll find out what my 2 must-have adhesives are!

Bluebird and roses mixed media canvas embellished with Reneabouquets butterflies, dragonflies, lace, chipboard, and glitter glass; as well as Prima Marketing's Bohemian Heart collection.

We've all had a mixed media background we created that we just didn't love very much. Even pros like myself, who are on design teams, have some so-called "fails." But it's important to know that you can fix, or correct, any background to make it closer to what you envisioned. So don't throw that paper or canvas in the trash! 

Bluebird and roses mixed media canvas embellished with Reneabouquets butterflies, dragonflies, lace, chipboard, and glitter glass; as well as Prima Marketing's Bohemian Heart collection.

But before we get into all of that, I first want to thank Reneabouquets for inviting me to do another guest design! Despite the ups and downs of this project's journey, I thoroughly enjoyed the process and think the end result is just stunning! 

Bluebird and roses mixed media canvas embellished with Reneabouquets butterflies, dragonflies, lace, chipboard, and glitter glass; as well as Prima Marketing's Bohemian Heart collection.

Let's just say that this canvas background took me on a journey. And for a while, it seemed like no matter what I did, I just couldn't get it to look like what I had in my head. I've got two (yes, you read that right--TWO) new videos up on my YouTube channel for you today! 

Jump to the list of supplies used.

Bluebird and roses mixed media canvas embellished with Reneabouquets butterflies, dragonflies, lace, chipboard, and glitter glass; as well as Prima Marketing's Bohemian Heart collection.

One of them shows you the journey this canvas went on to get to the point you see in my final project photos. And let me tell you, it was quite the journey and deserved a video all of its own! Not only do I show you the process--including the ugly parts, I show you how you can "fix" your mixed media backgrounds. 


The second video is my tutorial on how I embellished this canvas. I share with you my two must-have adhesives in order to create tall floral and embellishment clusters. At its tallest, this embellishment cluster stands at just over 3 inches over the canvas. 

Bluebird and roses mixed media canvas embellished with Reneabouquets butterflies, dragonflies, lace, chipboard, and glitter glass; as well as Prima Marketing's Bohemian Heart collection.

These tall clusters can seem intimidating, but with patience and my two favorite adhesives, you too can achieve these heights! For projects like this, I love to use my Sizzix Hot Glue Gun and Finnabair's Heavy Body Gel. In my video, you'll learn when I use each of these adhesives and why. 

Bluebird and roses mixed media canvas embellished with Reneabouquets butterflies, dragonflies, lace, chipboard, and glitter glass; as well as Prima Marketing's Bohemian Heart collection.

I won't go into too much detail here, because it's easier for me to show you than to tell you, but I take you from creating the base layer with the antler mould, to stabilizing the lower floral layers for the Bluebird chipboard frame, all the way to adding the butterfly, dragonflies and the sparkle of glitter glass

Bluebird and roses mixed media canvas embellished with Reneabouquets butterflies, dragonflies, lace, chipboard, and glitter glass; as well as Prima Marketing's Bohemian Heart collection.

I hope that you love my video tutorials and that you learned something, whether it was from my background mishap, or how to achieve a tall embellishment cluster. Until next time, happy crafting!
Adrienne

Shop the Supplies:

Reneabouquets





Scrapbook.com

I am an affiliate with Scrapbook.com. When you shop the links below, I receive a small commission from the affiliate, at no additional cost to you. This helps me balance the costs of the time and love I put into my projects and blog so I can continue to share my ideas with you for FREE. If you shop the links, thank you! I greatly appreciate it.



Prima Marketing & Redesign by Prima

Enjoy 15% off your order on the Prima Retail site when you use code adrienne15.


Below are products that I used for this project.












You May Also Like

0 comments

I'd love to hear your thoughts!