Sweet Girl: Scrapbook.com February 2021 Handmade Challenge

by - 6:00:00 AM

Less can be more when working with multiple patterns. 


I've really loved working with multiple patterns to a page--it challenges me and stretches my creativity. It was a little scary at first, but once you get over that initial hurdle, it's a lot of fun. (If you haven't seen my blog post on my tips for mixing and matching bold patterns, make sure to check it out.)


This particular layout was inspired by the Scrapbook.com February 2021 Handmade Challenge mood board. Purple and pink is one of my favorite color combos and it was a good excuse to use the new Kitsch Flamingo Distress Oxide ink! I also loved the way the water splashes sparkle in one of the photos on the mood board and used that as part of my inspiration. 


I chose 3 patterns of varying boldness and intensity, layering them from least busy on the bottom to most busy on the top. For the top 2 pieces, I distressed the edges, adding in some tearing here and there. 


I backed the photo with a large piece of double-sided foam to pop up it off the page. I then hand sewed in some pleating to a piece of tulle. I tucked it under some flowers, using heavy body gel to glue them all down. 


For the sentiment, I inked up a piece of white cardstock with three Distress Oxide colors: Kitsch Flamingo, Worn Lipstick and Wilted Violet. I inked, spritzed, dried and repeated until I was happy with the blending and distressing. I also punched a butterfly out of the same paper. To finish off the layout, I added a few gems. And that's it! Simple but sweet. With all those patterns, you really don't need a whole lot to make a page look beautiful. 


I hope that you also decide to participate in this month's challenge from Scrapbook.com! It's a great way  to get your creative juices flowing and to support one another. Share your project (card, layout, mixed media project--whatever it is!) and tag @scrapbookcom and #scrapbookcomchallenge. At the end of the month, one lucky winner will receive an online $50 gift certificate to Scrapbook.com! I can't wait to see everyone's projects!!

I am an affiliate with Scrapbook.com. When you shop the links below, I receive a small commission from the affiliate, at no additional cost to you. This helps me balance the costs of the time and love I put into my projects and blog so I can continue to share my ideas with you for FREE. If you shop the links, thank you! I greatly appreciate it.


Below are products that I used or similar products.




Scrapbook layout made with Prima Marketing Moon Child collection



You May Also Like

0 comments

I'd love to hear your thoughts!