Voodoo Shack: A Halloween and Birthday Card

by - 1:00:00 AM

What's Halloween without a little Voodoo magic? I just love the idea of shelves of potions, books and dried herbs in a Voodoo shack with a little Voodoo doll tucked away amongst the tinctures and spells.  I also love using mixed media techniques on cards. It really adds some little details and brings the cards to life and what better way than to make some little potion bottles and using flower soft to create that mixed media look.


I made this funky little card for my cousin who has a birthday in October and who got married on Halloween.  I knew she'd appreciate something this quirky. I started out by using cardstock to build my shelf, adding little doors with pearl knobs at the bottom and using distress ink to add a vintage look.


Next, I cut out some books from cardstock, adding little details with an archival safe pen and some liquid pearls. I also used some stems and flower soft to create a dried flower/herb bundle.


Then I began to make my potion bottles. Some were cut acetate and colored with alcohol inks then I added details with micro beads, sequins or liquid pearls.  Others I cut out of cardstock and added a copper crackle medium too.  Some bottles have to be dark and mysterious! I also cut corks out of cardstock to add to some of the bottles.


Finally, I cut out a Voodoo doll, adding details with archival safe markers and then sticking him with some pins.  I also added a crystal ball with some specialty metallic and pearl papers.  And then I cut out a tombstone shape, adding the Voodoo Shack name and a list of pricing.


Products Used
Recollections: Cardstock - black; Micro beads - clear | The Paper Studio: Acrylic - clear; Cardstock - brown, light brown, grey | Bazzill: Cardstock - fawn, pumpkin patch, pansy, gold | American Crafts - Cardstock - spinach, caramel; Jute Twine - orange | Colorbök: Cardstock - grey; DoodleBug: Mini Pearls - beetle black | Prima: Art Extravagance - texture paste copper crackle | Flower Soft: Ultra Fine - burgundy | Tim Holtz: Distress Glitter - peacock; Distress Stickles - vintage photo; Distress Ink - peeled paint, ground espresso, fossilized amber | Ranger Ink: Liquid Pearls - buttercup, hydrangea, Alcohol Ink - stream, wild plum, bottle, butterscotch | Little B: Paper Flowers - stems | Craft Medley: Cup Sequins - go green | Other: specialty paper

Happy Crafting!
Adrienne






You May Also Like

0 comments

I'd love to hear your thoughts!