All Hallow's Eve: A Light Up Jack-o-lantern Card

by - 1:00:00 AM

What good is a plain old jack-o-lantern card that doesn't light up like the real thing?


Halloween is getting closer, my friends!  I'm so excited I can hardly breath!  My house is decorated and I can't wait to see all the cute kids in costume!

But back to that light up card! I wanted to send my friend Kacia a little beaded spider and a card for her and her husband's anniversary.  Kacia loves to pick pumpkins and carve them so I needed to make a special jack-o-lantern card.  He needed to light up like the real thing!


Luckily, there is this little company called Chibitronics!  They make copper wire tape and led stickers so you can light up your craft projects.  They also sell kits for classrooms to teach technology through arts and crafts.  It really is genius!


I had previously bought myself a set of white led stickers and some copper wire tape so I pulled this out along with a button cell battery, planning out how to wire so that Kacia would have to push down in a certain spot to light up the card.  (I placed a little sticky note on it for her to know where to push.)


I also created made a little pocket for the batter on the inside of the card so Kacia could change out the battery when it died.  I did this using the template that Chibitronics provides for you.  It really is so simple!  They have all their basic wiring techniques as tutorials online.  I hid the battery pocket with a flap of cardstock to make the card look more professional.


Once I had all my elements cut out, including the background cardstock with a circle cut in the center of it to allow the light to shine through the jack-o-lantern's face, I began glueing down all my pieces.  I used pop dots to lift the background paper up off the copper tape so that the "press to light" function would work.  Then I glued all the pumpkin pieces together and glued it down over the hole in the center of the background cardstock.  


Finally I added the "BOO!" and made some sticky notes for Kacia so she'd know where to push and that she could change the battery.  It is just so cute, I almost couldn't contain myself!

Products Used:
Bazzill: Cardstock - orange, tangelo, black | Tim Holtz: Distress Ink - spiced marmalade, tea dye, ground espresso | Chibitronics: copper wire tape, white sticker LED, battery pocket template | Recollections: Cardstock - white | Other: button cell battery

Happy Crafting!
Adrienne

You May Also Like

0 comments

I'd love to hear your thoughts!