Flight of Fantasy: A Dragon Galaxy Card

by - 1:00:00 AM

Halloween is a time of the fantastical.  You can be as imaginative or creative as you want when it comes to your decor, you costume and the gifts you give.


Sometimes fantasy creatures are needed.  And that is exactly what I went for when creating a birthday card for my friend, Adrienne.  (We became friends in Kindergarten because we have the same name, and we've been friends ever since!) She loves dragons!  And I had also been itching to try out my Tim Holtz Distress Oxide Inks with a galaxy technique.  What better way to honor an October baby who loves dragons, with a magical flight against the night sky?


I started by cutting out all of the dragon pieces. Adrienne loves the color green and that would be a great color to really make the dragon pop against a night sky.  I distressed all of the edges of the dragon cuts with Distress Ink then also used my Wink of Stella clear pen to add a dash of glimmer to the grey parts.  Then I glued all the pieces together.  I also printed out a full moon image and cut it out too.  I knew the dragon would look imposing flying in front of that majestic full moon!


Then I got to creating my galaxy background using a variety of Tim Holtz Distress Oxides (all from his first release!) by rubbing them over black cardstock.  Then I spritzed it with water to start the reaction and mixing of inky goodness.

Once that had dried, I splattered some color mist over it and set it aside to dry again.  Once it had, I added a few drawn on stars with a silver pit pen and then I began gluing on all of my pieces, using pop dots to pop the dragon's wings up a little from the background.  As a finishing touch, I added a yellow pearl eye to the dragon and iridescent gems for stars.


Okay, so the dragon kind of looks sweet, but she still looks imposing in front of the moon!

Products Used
Recollections: Patterned Paper - fashionably chic stack; Cardstock: white, black; Rhinestones - iridescent | Colorbök: Cardstock - grey | Bazzill: Cardstock - grasshopper | Prima: Color Bloom - pearl white | Tattered Angels: Glimmer Mist - iridescent gold | Faber Castell: Pit Pen - silver | Zig: Wink of Stella - clear | Tim Holtz: Distress Ink - mowed lawn, hickory smoke; Distress Oxide - worn lipstick, iced spruce, cracked pistachio, broken china, faded jeans, wilted violet

Happy Crafting!
Adrienne






You May Also Like

0 comments

I'd love to hear your thoughts!