Nevermore: DIY Gothic Halloween Tree Ornaments

by - 6:00:00 AM

"Nevermore!" quoth the raven. These DIY Halloween tree ornaments are the perfect edition to your gothic tree. 

Gothic black glitter Halloween tree ornaments created with Prima Marketing, Redesign, and Finnabair glitter, gesso, wax and moulds.

I'm warning you now, if you don't like glitter, this project isn't for you. But if your corvid brain activates at the sight of anything shiny, then you've landed in the right place! 

Gothic black glitter Halloween tree ornaments created with Prima Marketing, Redesign, and Finnabair glitter, gesso, wax and moulds.

These sparkly ornaments are super easy to make and I'll walk you through the process. (I've got a full supply list linked at the bottom of this post.)


I started by painting the entire surface of some plastic disc-shaped ornaments with Heavy Black Gesso. While this was drying, I cast some moulds with resin. I used the Redesign Astrid and Delicate Flora Moulds, plus Finnabair's Nocturnal Insects and Birds and Bats Mould. 

Gothic black glitter Halloween tree ornaments created with Prima Marketing, Redesign, and Finnabair glitter, gesso, wax and moulds.

While the resin is still pliable, glue the raven skulls, Delicate Flora and frame from the Astrid mould in place with heavy body gel. If your moulds have already hardened too much, heat them with a heat tool to soften them and make them pliable again. Let the wings cure flat on your work surface. 

Gothic black glitter Halloween tree ornaments created with Prima Marketing, Redesign, and Finnabair glitter, gesso, wax and moulds.

Paint all of your moulds with the Heavy Black Gesso and give another coat to the ornaments themselves too. This will ensure a nice hefty black to work on. (Make sure to get the front and the back of the insect wings mould.)

Gothic black glitter Halloween tree ornaments created with Prima Marketing, Redesign, and Finnabair glitter, gesso, wax and moulds.

After the moulds are adhered, paint the inside of the Astrid frame mould with a paint that matches the color you've chosen for your flower. Since I'm using purple, I decided to use an Opal Magic Paint that shows up purple on black. 

Gothic black glitter Halloween tree ornaments created with Prima Marketing, Redesign, and Finnabair glitter, gesso, wax and moulds.

I glued the insect wings in place then I applied Old Silver Wax to the highlights of the moulds. 

Gothic black glitter Halloween tree ornaments created with Prima Marketing, Redesign, and Finnabair glitter, gesso, wax and moulds.

Now for the super glittery part! Working in sections, apply Soft Matte Gel to the ornament base, being careful to go around the moulds. I left the eyes and nostrils of the raven skulls alone. Once you've painted a section on, sprinkle on black glitter. I used a deep true black from the Ebony and Ivory set. 

Gothic black glitter Halloween tree ornaments created with Prima Marketing, Redesign, and Finnabair glitter, gesso, wax and moulds.

Once you've applied glitter all over the 3 ornaments, go back and apply a second layer of glitter, again working in sections. While this uses up nearly an entire vial of glitter, it is so worth the sparkly effect! 

The final step is to add your flower to the center of the insect wings, add the ornament caps back on, and tie on some silver velvet ribbon. And voila! You have some sparkly gothic Halloween ornaments that even the raven in Poe's poem would love. Until next time, happy crafting!
Adrienne

Shop the Supplies:


Scrapbook.com, A Cherry On Top, Spellbinders, Sizzix & Amazon

I am an affiliate with multiple companies. When you shop the links below, I receive a small commission from the affiliate, at no additional cost to you. This helps me balance the costs of the time and love I put into my projects and blog so I can continue to share my ideas with you for FREE. If you shop the links, thank you! I greatly appreciate it.


You can also use the code adrienne15 for 15% off your order on the Prima Marketing Retail site.


Below are products that I used for this project.










You May Also Like

0 comments

I'd love to hear your thoughts!