So Happy: A Wedding Scrapbook Page

by - 11:32:00 AM

Today's scrapbooking is a hybrid of the traditional with a mix of art techniques. It's not just cutting some paper and slapping on some photos--it's an art form.

Alice Scraps Wonderland | So Happy:  A Wedding Scrapbook Page


One of the questions I routinely get asked by my clients are "Do you have those fun scissors that cut the cool edges?" The answer to that question is, "Yes, I do, but I don't really use them anymore now that I have a machine that cuts my paper for me." For those that scrap, we know these machines as die cut machines.

Alice Scraps Wonderland | So Happy:  A Wedding Scrapbook Page | Die Cut Machines
Die cut machines come in a variety of styles--from electronic to hand crank to metal die wafers to downloadable cut files.  Machines from top left to bottom right:  Cricut Explore, Sizzix Big Shot Pro, Spellbinders Amaze, Spellbinders Platinum, Silhouette America Cameo, Tim Holtz Vagabond.  I'll admit, I own 4 of these machines...  


There are so many tools to create pages these days, it can be overwhelming. Just in die cut machines alone, there are those you can purchase die cut files online to use, others that you have to buy physical metal dies for, some that plug in and you push a button to start cutting and other that you crank by hand to cut. But the result is lovely no matter the machine you own and it makes the possibilities endless.

Besides die cut machines there are paper trimmers, paper distressers, stamps, paper flower shapers, typewriters that fit a 12x12 page and have dual colored ink ribbons, multimedia sewing machines that make it easy to sew paper, heat guns and a whole host of other tools.


Alice Scraps Wonderland | So Happy:  A Wedding Scrapbook Page | Scrapbooking Tools
Tools from top left to bottom right:  WeR Stitch Happy multimedia sewing machine, Ranger Heat Tool, WeR Typecast typewriter, Fiskars 12" trimmer, WeR Ribbon Trimmer, McGill's Paper Blossoms flower shapers tool set.
Yes, I own all of these tools...



It takes time to lovingly create each scrapbook page and adding mixed media techniques increases the time it takes to make a page. I like to buy white paper flowers or make my own out of white cardstock and then use colored inks and mists to color them to match my project. There's also gesso, modeling paste, gel medium and other awesome art mediums that you can press through stencils or use as adhesives. All of these art techniques take some extra time for drying (heat guns can speed up the process, though can't be used on all mediums).


Alice Scraps Wonderland | So Happy:  A Wedding Scrapbook Page


Today, I'm sharing a layout I made using papers, embellishments, inks, stamps and some colored mists. It is one of the more simple layouts I've made as I didn't make any die cuts and didn't use an art medium that required a long drying period. But all in all, it took me an hour and a half to make this page, and that didn't include the 45 minutes it took to go through my supplies and gather what I wanted to use. (I have a lot of supplies, okay!)

Alice Scraps Wonderland | So Happy:  A Wedding Scrapbook Page

I started with a piece of black cardstock and splattered on some colored mists. I wanted this to look like little lights shining at night since I was using the Jolees wedding lights garland (those cute little bistro lights in the upper left corner). I chose papers and flowers with minimal color--greys, blacks and whites, then added a few pops of mint green and pink.

Alice Scraps Wonderland | So Happy:  A Wedding Scrapbook Page
3D elements such as this mini faux bistro light garland add lots of dimension to a page.  
I arranged my papers and before gluing them down, stamped two frames in a silver ink. I distressed the edges of my layering papers with my fingers, added some doilies and notecards then began adding all of my embellishments.

Alice Scraps Wonderland | So Happy:  A Wedding Scrapbook Page
Flair buttons, flowers and a metal embellishment add different textures.
I even colored my white flowers with a pearlescent white mist and then dripped a charcoal grey color on them. I also colored my white doilies with a metallic white watercolor paint. I finished everything up by edging the papers with a white chalk ink to distress them a little more.


Alice Scraps Wonderland | So Happy:  A Wedding Scrapbook Page
A doily colored with a metallic watercolor paint as shimmer and light.
To see even more of my process, you can watch my very first ASW video on YouTube! It's sped up so it won't take you over an hour to watch it. For those that don't scrapbook, it's the perfect way to watch how a scrapbook page gets made. Personally, I love watching scrapbook videos on YouTube. For me, it's relaxing and I learn something new--even if it is just something super simple.


I hope you enjoyed learning a bit about my process and watching my very first ASW video.

Products Used:

  • Bazzill: Cardstock - pepper, black 
  • Prima: Optimist - cling stamps, flair buttons, ATC cards, Whimsy; Anna Marie - anna marie; Everyday Vintage - chalkboard notecards; Flower Centers -raja sequin black; Lace Stickers - contentment; Parfait - wintergreen; Mini Sachet - frost; Flowers - purity II; Color Bloom - pearl; Art Basics - modeling paste (as adhesive); Chalk Ink - white; Mixed Media - metallic accents; Rondelle - cabochons and buttons, textured stickers alphabet; Something Blue - chipboard pieces, paperclips, say it in crystals, brads, flair buttons 
  • Jolees: Boutique - wedding lights garland 
  • Marion Smith Designs: Color Lab - galaxy; Bloom Impressions - flower stamens in pearl 
  • Tattered Angels: Glimmer Mist - iridescent gold 
  • Tim Holtz: Idea-ology - locket keys 
  • Craft Smart: Pigment Ink - silver 
  • Doodlebug: Mini Paper Doilies - lily white 
  • Other: glue dots; pop dots; glue tape runner 



Alice Scraps Wonderland | So Happy:  A Wedding Scrapbook Page
Journaling cards, chipboard stickers and fabric letter stickers add interest and detail.


Happy Scrapping,
Adrienne



You May Also Like

0 comments

I'd love to hear your thoughts!