Pretty in Pink: A Shabby Chic Wedding Scrapbook Layout

by - 4:51:00 PM

I've been a fan of Scrap Around the World on Facebook for a while. I'm constantly visiting their blog and endlessly pinning all the amazing layouts submitted by fellow crafters from all over the world. And the mood boards are so inspirational. I've always wanted to enter the monthly challenge but never really found the time before. 


"II Cute" by Alice Scraps Wonderland:  A boarder of pink flowers and vintage details adorn this oh so adorable photo of my cousin and flower girl, Rylee. The vintage look of the mood board perfectly matched my sister's wedding theme--clock and all!

But this year, I promised myself I would open an Etsy shop (sometime this year...) and enter at least a few of the Scrap Around the World monthly challenges. I'm proud to say that this month, I'm entering the challenge! I mean, who couldn't after seeing this gorgeous mood board created by Karita Vainio of Finland?

mood board jan 2015

Whoa! Not to mention the colors, weathered wood and vintage feel match the theme of one of the albums I'm currently working on--my sister's monstrous wedding album. My cousin and her husband's photography is so beautiful I can't help but want to scrap nearly every photo they sent us. Now I'm left trying to figure out if I have multiple albums or store extra pages in a pretty 12x12 box for my sister and her husband…Hmmm…still thinking on that one…

In the meantime, I will happily scrap away the days!

When I saw this mood board, I had the perfect photo and paper background in mind. And those pink roses! Oh! My sister had pink roses as part of her wedding bouquet! Alas, I didn't have enough pink flowers in my overflowing not vast enough paper flower collection.  So my sister and I went on a shopping mission yesterday to craft stores for tons of pink flowers. Mission accomplished! And I have plenty of extras for another cute layout of our cousin and flower girl, Rylee.

"II Cute" by Alice Scraps Wonderland:  A boarder of pink flowers and vintage details adorn this oh so adorable photo of my cousin and flower girl, Rylee. The vintage look of the mood board perfectly matched my sister's wedding theme--clock and all!

"II Cute!" A boarder of pink flowers and vintage details adorn this oh so adorable photo of my cousin and flower girl, Rylee. The vintage look of the mood board perfectly matched my sister's wedding theme--clock and all!
Needless to say, I was inspired by the weathered wood and pink roses but the vintage frames, lace, roman numerals and keys caught my eye as well. I kept my colors mainly to the whites and pinks, but threw in a bit of that verdigris color (one of my personal favorite colors!) by adding a few Prima gems from the Stationer's Desk collection. These gems are pretty with pink and also blue gems that shine green-blue to purple-pink depending on the light.

detail of floral

Pop dots add even more dimension to dimensional paper flowers.
I started out by splashing just the tiniest bit of Lindy's Stamp Gang Starburst spray in salt water taffy on the background paper that's from Kaiser Craft's Base Coat collection. Then I mounted the photo on a piece of Bazzill cardstock in petalsoft that was inked it with a bit of Tim Holtz Distress Ink in victorian velvet. I used pop dots to lift the photo so it wouldn't be overwhelmed by the dimension of the flowers.

I used a boarder of pink flowers on the right side of the photo, tightly clustering them and using pop dots to highlight some of them. I misted a few with just a little bit of Prima Color Bloom in pearl white for added iridescence and texturized a few with the Prima white sand Texture Paste to emphasize the texture of the weathered wood background and vintage feel of the mood board.

vintage frame, lace and key

A small resin frame, key, lace and pearls make
a sweet addition to all the flowers.
My sister wore a strand of pink pearls and matching stud earrings for her wedding so I added a few champagne colored pearls (and they match the cream of the flower girl's dress) as well as a few white pearl flowers. Layered underneath all of that florally gorgeousness is a chipboard piece from Prima's Something in Blue collection, a lace medallion from Prima's trim collection and a Prima pink pearl swirl.

Near the bottom of the page is the a vintage resin frame from Prima that I ever so slightly inked with Tim Holtz Distress Ink in victorian velvet. I popped a flower in the center of the frame and attached a Tim Holtz key with a bit of cluny lace ribbon to the frame.


Altered flowers made a base for this innovative title: A metal roman numeral 2 and a small
typo bulb with the word "cute." 
The title of the layout is created with a Prima roman numeral 2 and a Prima small typo bulb.

I also altered the center of the flower at the bottom of the page. I used a little bit of Glossy Accents and Tim Holtz Distress Glitter in rock candy to give this flower a little sparkle.

Overall, I'm really happy with how this layout turned out. I love that balance of embellishments with white space. The clustering of embellishments in a line, I think, helps to lead the eye along the photo. It's almost like telling a story.

And because I love fun, behind-the-scenes photos, I just had to share a panorama of the aftermath of my workspace. I do most of my crafting out at my Oma's (grandmother's) house as I help take care of her most days so I use her dining room table. This table is a bit bigger than my craft table at home but sometimes there still isn't enough room to spread out all my stuff. (See the two baskets on the right side? That holds only part of my paper flower collection. I told you it was overflowing not big enough!) On a side note about my Oma, she will be turning 95 this July! I need to start thinking of party decorations that I can craft…


The aftermath, destruction, creative chaos…whatever you want to call it!


Full list of products used:
  • Kaiser Kraft: Base Coat collection - shabby chic 12x12 patterned paper
  • Bazzill Basics: textured cardstock - petalsoft
  • Lindy's Stamp Gang: Starburst spray - salt water taffy
  • Tim Holtz: Distress Ink - victorian velvet; Distress Glitter - rock candy; Idea-ology - locket keys
  • Ranger Ink: adhesive - glossy accents
  • Melissa Frances: Floppy Blossoms - pink
  • Prima: Color Bloom - pearl white; Art Extravagance Texture Paste - white sand; Fluid Chalk Inkers - white; Shabby Chic Treasures - victorian frame; Sunrise Sunset - mini roman numerals; Junk Yard Findings - small typo bulbs; Symphony Blend - amaroso pink; Stationer's Desk - say it in crystals; Trim - medallion; Say it in Crystals - pink swirl; Something Blue - chipboard
  • The Paper Studio: Spare Parts - vintage flowers in pink; La Petits - pink flower mix; Ribbon - mini white cluny lace
  • Recollections: Rhinestone Stickers - white pearl flowers; Faux Pearls - champagne; Flower Shoppe - large pink mix, small pink mix


Don't forget to check out the Scrap Around the World post for the January mood board challenge and even enter yourself! It's an amazing blog for scrappers all around the world to congregate and view each other's work and to be inspired! Also, the December 2014 winners were just announced! There are some stunning layouts that won! I must go pin them all to my Scrapbook Inspiration Pinterest board! (I need don't need a "Pinter-vention.")

Happy scrapping!
Adrienne




You May Also Like

9 comments

  1. I really love your design with white space! Beautiful work! Thank you for playing along with us at SATW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait to enter more monthly challenges--the mood boards are so inspiring!

      Delete
  2. Aww, I really love this layout with gorgeous princess and flowers! Just beautiful!
    Thank you for joining at SATW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe this is so sweet! I love that photo! Beautiful flower cluster draped along the side! Great layout! All the best from SATW! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great !!!! Stunning photos and floral arrangements! i love it! Thank you for joining at SATW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a wonderful page!! Loving all the sweet pinks and flowers you have on your page! Thank you for joining the SATW challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice page, I love the picture and all the flowers !! Thank you for playing at SATW :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone for all your sweet comments! It's really appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW Adrienne!! Beautiful layout!! Adore it!!! Thanks for playing along at SATW!!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!