Big Wide World Scrapbook Layout + Freebie!

by - 4:38:00 PM

Happy Thursday!  I have a scrapbook layout and a freebie for you today!  I saw this layout posted on Scrapbook.com that truly inspired me and I just had to try the technique.  I've been saving this technique for a water-themed layout just because it looks so much like bubbles and waves to me.

Big Wide World layout by Alice Scraps Wonderland

Thankfully, my sister and her fiancé recently visited the beaches of northern California and brought back some truly lovely photos (so there will be more to come)!

Big Wide World layout by Alice Scraps Wonderland
Big Wide World:  The Prima Finnabair 12x12 Bubbles stencil is perfect for water-themed layouts like this one. I used impasto (gel medium) with the stencil after splashing some navy Color Shine on the paper.  Once dry, I used a dropper to add seafoam Color Shine then misted it with water to help it run down the paper some more.  


The technique I just had to try was using an impasto gel medium with the Prima Finnabair 12x12 Bubbles stencil.  After splashing a few drops of the Heidi Swapp Color Shine in Navy on white cardstock, I placed on the stencil and spread on the impasto.  I didn't heat set the navy Color Shine so that it would smear when applying the impasto.

For those that haven't tried impasto with stencils, I highly suggest it!  I bought an 8 oz. jar from my local craft store even though it was a little pricey for my "budget" scrapbooking.  When I got it home and used it the first time [see my bokeh baby custom disc case], I realized that a little goes a long way and this big pot will last me a long time!

Big Wide World layout by Alice Scraps Wonderland
Impasto gel creates texture and a resist that the final color
shine drips around.

Impasto goes on white and dries clear.  The heavier or thicker the impasto you buy, the more it will hold your brush or palette knife strokes.  The other reason it works great with a stencil is that it takes a while to dry.  I tried using the Ranger Ink Glossy Accents with a stencil but it dried too quickly and I ended up tearing my cardstock trying to remove the stencil.  Impasto solved that problem perfectly, plus, it gives you a chance to play with it!

Side Note:  If you don't want to use it as a resist on your cardstock, you can add color to impasto.  It's used by painters to add texture to their creations.  Just scoop out the amount you need and mix in color to your heart's content.

After the impasto dried, I used a dropper and mini mister filled with water to add the seafoam Color Shine so it would run down the page.  I then heat set it a bit and then I flicked a bit more of the navy Color Shine onto the page to a bit more of the darker color back in, then heat set it again.

Big Wide World layout by Alice Scraps Wonderland
A Studio Calico wood veneer sail boat, a Fancy Pants Designs button
and a Craft Medley cup sequin add just a hint of texture, layering and
pizzazz to the left side of the layout.


Even though the photo is mostly darker blue hues, I wanted to bring in some of the sea green color that so many visualize when thinking of the ocean.  That is why I chose the seafoam Color Shine along with a strip of Teal Ombre from Echo Park's Essential Ombre collection.  I then layered in some of the bluer hues by adding Bazzill's Admiral as well as the chevron/herringbone patterned paper.

Big Wide World layout by Alice Scraps Wonderland
Vellum adds a soft touch to the titling while not overpowering the photo.  


For the lettering I used vellum and a scrap of blue paper I had laying around.  I used vellum for "world" so I could place it on the photo.  (I'm still looking for the perfect adhesive for vellum.  Suggestions, anyone?)  I think if I cut this title out again, I might cut it out just a little bit bigger--the G in big is a little thin in places.

Love the title?  Keep reading to the bottom!

Big Wide World layout by Alice Scraps Wonderland
A Basic Grey stitched brad and pretty pleated American Crafts ribbon add a little flair.  


Finally I added some fun embellishments including a strip of American Crafts ribbon that I hand stitched into the pleat, Studio Calico wood veneer sail boat piece, a Fancy Pants Designs button from their Down by the Shore collection and a Basic Grey Lucille stitched brad for dimension and texture.  I also added a few pebbles from Prima, some tiny blue gems and a few cup sequins from Craft Medley.

Here's your freebie!!


Big Wide World layout by Alice Scraps Wonderland | Free Die Cut File


If you love the title you can download the Studio file and/or the Adobe Illustrator file for personal use to scrap your own adventures!  The layout of the title is a little different than how I glued it onto my page but feel free to alter it.  I'd love to see your designs so post a link to your own layout in the comments below!

Download your free file here!




Happy Crafting!
Adrienne








You May Also Like

0 comments

I'd love to hear your thoughts!