Creating a Bokeh Background on Paper

by - 10:00:00 AM

I often create custom disc cases to hold CDs of my cousin's photography for her clients.  


In this particular case, I did a lot of experimenting to see how I could yes recreate a bokeh effect on paper to match her photography.  Here is what I ended up with!

Custom disc case - front and back
Note:  I blurred out part of the little boy's name for privacy reasons.

First I started with a white base, using Bazzill's smooth white cardstock.  I then used a stencil from Prima and some Tim Holtz distress inks in mustard seed and antique linen to create a warm glow to the circles.  Then using a sponge, I applied some Heidi Swapp Color Shine in gold for some added sparkle.

Detail of bokeh on paper
Notice the slight glimmer by adding a dab of Color Shine.  It's a bit hard to tell in this photo but the impasto holds brush/palette knife strokes.  

Finally I used a thick, clear impasto gel to fill in the circles I colored in with ink and Color Shine.  The reason I chose impasto was because it doesn't dry as fast as Glossy Accents does.  I was able to remove my stencil cleanly without tearing my paper because the stencil got glued down to it.  Before the impasto dried, I placed a few sequins into it, so that it would also act as an adhesive.

List of Products Used:
  • Bazzil:  cardstock - white, walnut cream, cherry splash, stormy dark
  • American Crafts:  White velvet ribbon
  • Craft Medley:  Cup Sequins - blue mix, brown mix
  • Prima:  Finnabair Elementals 12x12 stencil mask - bubbles
  • Tim Holtz:  Distress Ink - mustard seed, antique linen, tea dye
  • Heidi Swapp:  Color Shine - gold
  • Doodlebug:  Mini Pearls - bumblebee mix
  • Ranger Ink:  Glossy Accents (as an adhesive and also for my logo)
  • Golden:  Extra Heavy Gel (Gloss)  [i.e. the impasto!]




You May Also Like

0 comments

I'd love to hear your thoughts!