Mad Hatter's Heart: A Mixed Media Altered Tim Holtz Assemblage Clock

by - 9:00:00 AM

Have you ever seen a project surface and just knew right away what you wanted to do with it? That's how I felt about this Tim Holtz assemblage clock.



Today, I'm sharing with you the second in a series of Alice in Wonderland themed projects.  This one features a beautiful Renea Bouquets Mad Hatter embellishment along with elements and papers from Echo Park's Alice in Wonderland collection.


After seeing a project by Tim where he added some micro LED lights to the inside of his assemblage clock, I knew I wanted to try the same thing. I also felt it would be perfect to help light up the darker colors of the Mad Hatter embellishment as well as emphasize the depth in the project.


I started by altering the outside of my assemblage clock using gesso, a stencil and also Finnabair waxes for color. Then I added paper to the inside of the clock by covering the back and wrapping the sides. I also made a grassy knoll for the Mad Hatter to be attached to.


Then I created some paper flowers and leaves then glued all of my embellishments on to the outside, including some chipboard stickers and pre-made paper flowers. I also altered a mini pocket watch from Tim Holtz, adding a coordinating cream paper and a tiny fussy cut cupcake inside and filling the bottom of it with clear microbeads. I hung this and a teapot charm from one of the bells and added a Frank Garcia crown to the other bell.


Next I attached the Mad Hatter to his grassy knoll and then glued some paper flowers to the inside of the clock. To insert the fairy lights, I used my Dremel tool to drill a hole in the back plate of the clock. I strung my lights through and just like Tim, I wound them around a popsicle stick. Then I added tiny die cut butterflies with glitter to the background.


After glueing in the grass with the Mad Hatter, I added some Renea Bouquet pearls to the front of the clock, placed my lights behind the grass and closed up my clock. And there you have it! A perfect item to display in my Alice Scraps Wonderland loft!


Products Used
Tim Holtz: Idea-ology - assemblage clock, mini pocket watch; Distress Glitter - stormy skies; Distress Ink - mowed lawn | Echo Park: Alice in Wonderland - always be kind, 3x4 journaling cards, border strips, 6x6 paper pad, chipboard phrases, chipboard accents, enamel dots, blue and cream coordinating papers | Bazzill: Cardstock - string of pearls | Renea Bouquets: Beautiful Beads - bronzed teal; Alice in Wonderland - mad hatter | Spellbinders: D-Lites - flutter tree | Bead Landing: Chain Extenders - silver; Charmalong - teapot | Recollections: Microbeads - clear | The Crafters Workshop: 12 x12 Stencil - tiny circles | Ranger: Glossy Accents; Tacky Tape | Prima: Art Basics - black gesso, modeling paste; Art Alchemy Wax - turquoise satin; Mini Sachet - surf; Butterflies - farfalla; French Regalia - crowns I | Other: micro LEDs, popsicle stick, hot glue, pop dots, Dremel tool 


Happy Crafting!
Adrienne


You Might Also Like:








You May Also Like

0 comments

I'd love to hear your thoughts!