New Finnabair Moulds & Decoupage Mixed Media Canvas Tutorial

by - 2:00:00 PM

Finnabair has new Decoupage Papers, Moulds and Wax Sets. Let's use a few of them to create a frosty steampunk canvas.

Mixed media canvas with gear and bird moulds in purple, aqua and chartreuse; Created using Finnabair Limited Edition Whispers Wax, Acid Wax, Mechanical Robins Mould, Baroque Frames Mould, Time Whispers Decoupage Paper, Old Pages Stencil, Jewel Paste, and Majestic Flourish Mould from Prima, Finnabair and Redesign with Prima.

Hi, crafty friend! Can you believe that I created a Prima project without flowers? I know, hard to believe. I considered it with this project, but I just didn't like the way it looked when I played with adding flowers. But enough of waxing poetic about paper flowers. The essential supplies are listed below, so let's get right into this tutorial.

Mixed media canvas with gear and bird moulds in purple, aqua and chartreuse; Created using Finnabair Limited Edition Whispers Wax, Acid Wax, Mechanical Robins Mould, Baroque Frames Mould, Time Whispers Decoupage Paper, Old Pages Stencil, Jewel Paste, and Majestic Flourish Mould from Prima, Finnabair and Redesign with Prima.

I used a 4x12 inch canvas for this project. Paint the top edge and a bit of the top front of the canvas with Redesign with Prima's Matte Decoupage Gel or Finnabair's Soft Matte Gel. Lay one of the Decoupage Papers from Time Whispers into the gel. Then add gel to the rest of the canvas and press more of the paper into it. 

Mixed media canvas with gear and bird moulds in purple, aqua and chartreuse; Created using Finnabair Limited Edition Whispers Wax, Acid Wax, Mechanical Robins Mould, Baroque Frames Mould, Time Whispers Decoupage Paper, Old Pages Stencil, Jewel Paste, and Majestic Flourish Mould from Prima, Finnabair and Redesign with Prima.

Trim off excess Decoupage paper and cut slits at the corners so you can wrap the entire canvas in the Decoupage Paper. Then paint a layer of Decoupage Gel over the the Decoupage Paper to seal it into place. 

Mixed media canvas with gear and bird moulds in purple, aqua and chartreuse; Created using Finnabair Limited Edition Whispers Wax, Acid Wax, Mechanical Robins Mould, Baroque Frames Mould, Time Whispers Decoupage Paper, Old Pages Stencil, Jewel Paste, and Majestic Flourish Mould from Prima, Finnabair and Redesign with Prima.

Once the Gel is dry, place a Finnabair stencil over the canvas, one with larger openings for the gritty paste to go through. Then use a silicone brush to apply the Diamond Rings Effect Paste through the stencil. 

Mixed media canvas with gear and bird moulds in purple, aqua and chartreuse; Created using Finnabair Limited Edition Whispers Wax, Acid Wax, Mechanical Robins Mould, Baroque Frames Mould, Time Whispers Decoupage Paper, Old Pages Stencil, Jewel Paste, and Majestic Flourish Mould from Prima, Finnabair and Redesign with Prima.

Cast your moulds. Use Resin in the Majestic Flourish Moulds. This one will hang off the canvas and we want this one to be super strong. Then cast the Baroque Frames and Mechanical Robins with Redesign's Casting Mix. 

Use jewelry wire to strengthen delicate areas of your mould, cutting the wire to fit and placing it on the backside of the mould after it set up for a few minutes. I also used Cardinal Cheer, which is no longer in stock, so. you can replace these two moulds with something else, like flourishes or other leaves--there are so many to choose from! 

Mixed media canvas with gear and bird moulds in purple, aqua and chartreuse; Created using Finnabair Limited Edition Whispers Wax, Acid Wax, Mechanical Robins Mould, Baroque Frames Mould, Time Whispers Decoupage Paper, Old Pages Stencil, Jewel Paste, and Majestic Flourish Mould from Prima, Finnabair and Redesign with Prima.

Prep the resin moulds with Finn's Clear Gesso. Then cover your moulds in Finnabair's Wax. I used both waxes from the Limited Edition Whispers Wax Set and Acid Wax. I covered the moulds with the two from the Limited Edition set using the Dabbing Brushes, then added Acid as a bit of highlight. 

Mixed media canvas with gear and bird moulds in purple, aqua and chartreuse; Created using Finnabair Limited Edition Whispers Wax, Acid Wax, Mechanical Robins Mould, Baroque Frames Mould, Time Whispers Decoupage Paper, Old Pages Stencil, Jewel Paste, and Majestic Flourish Mould from Prima, Finnabair and Redesign with Prima.

Then glue all of the moulds onto the canvas, starting with Majestic Flourish as the base, then the frame on top. The other moulds are sprinkled in with the robin on top. For a finishing touch, I added a few gems from Return to Wonderland Say It In Crystals. 

Shop the Supplies:


Scrapbook.com, A Cherry On Top, Sizzix, Prima Marketing, Spellbinders, Scrap Diva Designs, Etsy & Amazon

I am an affiliate/associate with multiple companies. When you shop the links below, I receive a small commission from the affiliate on qualifying purchases, at no additional cost to you. This helps me balance the costs of the time and love I put into my projects and blog so I can continue to share my ideas with you for FREE. If you shop the links, thank you! I greatly appreciate it.


Below are products that I used for this project.











You May Also Like

0 comments

I'd love to hear your thoughts!