Beauty of a Good Heart: Mixed Media Frame for Mother's Day

by - 4:26:00 PM

The worlds of scrapbooking and mixed media have collided, creating a wonderful art form for home decor projects.


For Mother's Day, I made my mom this wonderful little mixed media frame for her bedroom.  She doesn't have much art on her walls and what she does have is bird and tree themed.


I have some other mixed media projects in the planning stages for my craft room.  With the new house that is much larger than our last one, our walls are pretty blank.  This was a nice second foray into the mixed media world.  (To see my first stab at mixed media home decor, check out my guest blog post on This Bittersweet Life featuring a beach-themed canvas I made for my sister and brother-in-law.)


Recently, my mom and I went on a bit of a shopping spree as all the scrapbooking goodies from 2017 went on sale to make way for the 2018 winter goodies.  So we snapped up a couple of Tim Holtz frames and configurations for me to use for future projects.  That is how I ended up with the frame for this lovely project.


I started by using Mod Podge to adhere a piece of Tim Holtz paper to the back of the frame piece then added on other elements that would go under the top part of the frame, like the ribbon that strings on the sentiment at the bottom of the frame.  I also painted the entire front of the frame with black gesso and then adding a gold Prima wax before glueing it into place on the base of the frame.


Once that was all down, I began die cutting, layering and adding other mixed media such as Tim Holtz's collage crazing medium and distress inks.  I also gently scraped the word off of the Prima small typo bulbs so that it would be plain.


I also used pop dots to lift the bird ephemera piece up off the background.  To finish it off, I added a few gems for a bit of bling.


Products Used
Tim Holtz: Idea-ology - framed panel, pen nibs, quote bands; Layers - botanical; Paper Stash - memoranda; Distress Collage - crazing; Distress Ink - tea dye, peacock feather; Alterations -detailed butterflies mini  |  Prima: Art Basics - 3d gloss gel, black gesso; Art Alchemy Metallique Wax - vintage gold; Junkyard Findings - small typo bulbs; Shabby Chic Treasures - metal bird cages; Resin - sculpted flowers mix 4; The Archivist - fragments; Cradle - robin  |  Bazzill: Cardstock - french vanilla, aruba  |  The Paper Studio: Poppies & Paperie - burlap bead flowers  |  American Crafts: Solid Grossgrain - color set 1  |  Spellbinders: Shapeabilities - romantic vines  |  Recollections: Flower Shop - cream script, tiny brown with type leaves; Rhinestones - autumn mix  |  WeR: Stitch Happy - metallic gold thread


Happy Crafting,
Adrienne












You May Also Like

2 comments

I'd love to hear your thoughts!