DIY Handmade Button Shaped Interactive Mini Album

by - 6:00:00 AM

When you are new to handmade mini albums, they can feel intimidating and overwhelming at first, but they are easier than you think, especially with a waterfall binding. Learn how to create a button-shaped mini album from scratch with this video tutorial! 

Made from scratch round mini album with a button-shaped cover and pages with pockets and flips containing tags and ephemera; decorated with Prima Marketing Buttons & Keepsakes paper, ephemera, rub-on transfers, and flowers; Sweet Spring papers and flowers; Homegrown flowers; Among the Wildflowers Spools of Yarn; and Spellbinders Buttons & Keepsakes coordinating Keepsake Swans and embossing folders.

Hi, crafty friend! Today we are talking handmade mini albums and I've got a sweet one for you! 

Jump to a Section

Made from scratch round mini album with a button-shaped cover and pages with pockets and flips containing tags and ephemera; decorated with Prima Marketing Buttons & Keepsakes paper, ephemera, rub-on transfers, and flowers; Sweet Spring papers and flowers; Homegrown flowers; Among the Wildflowers Spools of Yarn; and Spellbinders Buttons & Keepsakes coordinating Keepsake Swans and embossing folders.


Introduction
This button-shaped mini album is inspired by the Buttons & Keepsakes collection designed by Frank Garcia for Prima Marketing. I just love a fun shaped mini album! While this one is a fun shape, it's an easy one to cut by hand since it's just a bunch of circles. I did use both Buttons & Keepsakes as well as Sweet Spring, Frank's previous collection, to decorate this album, plus a few flowers and other items from some 3 Girls Tale collections from Prima. 

Made from scratch round mini album with a button-shaped cover and pages with pockets and flips containing tags and ephemera; decorated with Prima Marketing Buttons & Keepsakes paper, ephemera, rub-on transfers, and flowers; Sweet Spring papers and flowers; Homegrown flowers; Among the Wildflowers Spools of Yarn; and Spellbinders Buttons & Keepsakes coordinating Keepsake Swans and embossing folders.

This album is held together with a waterfall binding, which is one of the easiest bindings to create. All you need is a scoring board. But rather than tell you how easy it really is, I'd rather show you--I've got a full video tutorial for you. 

Made from scratch round mini album with a button-shaped cover and pages with pockets and flips containing tags and ephemera; decorated with Prima Marketing Buttons & Keepsakes paper, ephemera, rub-on transfers, and flowers; Sweet Spring papers and flowers; Homegrown flowers; Among the Wildflowers Spools of Yarn; and Spellbinders Buttons & Keepsakes coordinating Keepsake Swans and embossing folders.

This video takes you from start to finish and includes creating the chipboard base, covering the chipboard in patterned paper, creating your pages (including pockets and flips), making the binding, and decorating your pages and cover! 

Made from scratch round mini album with a button-shaped cover and pages with pockets and flips containing tags and ephemera; decorated with Prima Marketing Buttons & Keepsakes paper, ephemera, rub-on transfers, and flowers; Sweet Spring papers and flowers; Homegrown flowers; Among the Wildflowers Spools of Yarn; and Spellbinders Buttons & Keepsakes coordinating Keepsake Swans and embossing folders.

So be sure to check out that video for all the amazing details and to see how easy it is to create this handmade mini album


Watch the Video Tutorial



Measurements

Made from scratch round mini album with a button-shaped cover and pages with pockets and flips containing tags and ephemera; decorated with Prima Marketing Buttons & Keepsakes paper, ephemera, rub-on transfers, and flowers; Sweet Spring papers and flowers; Homegrown flowers; Among the Wildflowers Spools of Yarn; and Spellbinders Buttons & Keepsakes coordinating Keepsake Swans and embossing folders.

If you are here because of the video, you are probably looking for my measurements that I promised. 

Embroidery Hoop Sizes Used:
  • Large: 7 inch hoop
  • Small: 4 inch hoop

Made from scratch round mini album with a button-shaped cover and pages with pockets and flips containing tags and ephemera; decorated with Prima Marketing Buttons & Keepsakes paper, ephemera, rub-on transfers, and flowers; Sweet Spring papers and flowers; Homegrown flowers; Among the Wildflowers Spools of Yarn; and Spellbinders Buttons & Keepsakes coordinating Keepsake Swans and embossing folders.

Waterfall Binding:
  • Cut two strips at 3 inches high by around 11 inches long.
  • Score one strip at every half inch, trim off excess length (depends on how many pages you want--I had a total of 5 with the covers); glue into a mountain and valley binding.
  • From the second strip, trim off a length that will cover the flat back of the waterfall binding (mine was about 3 to 3 1/4 inches wide).
  • Use the rest of the second strip to create the decorative cover for your binding. (If it's not quite long enough, just cut another 3 by 11 inch strip to use.)

Made from scratch round mini album with a button-shaped cover and pages with pockets and flips containing tags and ephemera; decorated with Prima Marketing Buttons & Keepsakes paper, ephemera, rub-on transfers, and flowers; Sweet Spring papers and flowers; Homegrown flowers; Among the Wildflowers Spools of Yarn; and Spellbinders Buttons & Keepsakes coordinating Keepsake Swans and embossing folders.

Flips, Pockets and Tags:
  • Flips are the same size as the base page and scored 3/4 inches down from the top center.
  • Pockets are approximately 3 1/3 inches at their widest (I used strips that were between 3 and 3 1/2 inches by 8 inches to trace on). 
  • Tags in pockets are 6 x 3 inches; tags in pockets under a flip are 5 1/4 x 3 inches. 


Additional Photos

Made from scratch round mini album with a button-shaped cover and pages with pockets and flips containing tags and ephemera; decorated with Prima Marketing Buttons & Keepsakes paper, ephemera, rub-on transfers, and flowers; Sweet Spring papers and flowers; Homegrown flowers; Among the Wildflowers Spools of Yarn; and Spellbinders Buttons & Keepsakes coordinating Keepsake Swans and embossing folders.

I've already shown the cover and first several pages above (in order), so I just wanted to share the last couple of pages with you and some closeups. 

Made from scratch round mini album with a button-shaped cover and pages with pockets and flips containing tags and ephemera; decorated with Prima Marketing Buttons & Keepsakes paper, ephemera, rub-on transfers, and flowers; Sweet Spring papers and flowers; Homegrown flowers; Among the Wildflowers Spools of Yarn; and Spellbinders Buttons & Keepsakes coordinating Keepsake Swans and embossing folders.

The set of pages above is a double flip with pockets underneath. One pocket is on a diagonal and the other is a horizontal pocket. 

Made from scratch round mini album with a button-shaped cover and pages with pockets and flips containing tags and ephemera; decorated with Prima Marketing Buttons & Keepsakes paper, ephemera, rub-on transfers, and flowers; Sweet Spring papers and flowers; Homegrown flowers; Among the Wildflowers Spools of Yarn; and Spellbinders Buttons & Keepsakes coordinating Keepsake Swans and embossing folders.

I added lace or pom pom trim to the basic pockets with no flips, and added tags, large ephemera and a white cardstock photo matte in each pocket. I'll go back and add photos to these mattes later. 

Made from scratch round mini album with a button-shaped cover and pages with pockets and flips containing tags and ephemera; decorated with Prima Marketing Buttons & Keepsakes paper, ephemera, rub-on transfers, and flowers; Sweet Spring papers and flowers; Homegrown flowers; Among the Wildflowers Spools of Yarn; and Spellbinders Buttons & Keepsakes coordinating Keepsake Swans and embossing folders.

I also decorated the pockets and flips with ephemera, rub-on transfers and flowers. And each tag was topped with some twine from the Among the Wildflowers Spools of Yarn. 

Made from scratch round mini album with a button-shaped cover and pages with pockets and flips containing tags and ephemera; decorated with Prima Marketing Buttons & Keepsakes paper, ephemera, rub-on transfers, and flowers; Sweet Spring papers and flowers; Homegrown flowers; Among the Wildflowers Spools of Yarn; and Spellbinders Buttons & Keepsakes coordinating Keepsake Swans and embossing folders.

The die cut swans on the cover are a Buttons & Keepsakes coordinates from Spellbinders. In my video, I share how to assemble all the little layers of these swans and how to add more dimension to them. It's not the only coordinate I added from this collection. Some of the tags are also embossed cardstock using the 2 embossing folders from Buttons & Keepsakes. Some tags are just embossed cardstock and others are torn strips of the embossed cardstock added to the bottom of a patterned paper tag. 

Made from scratch round mini album with a button-shaped cover and pages with pockets and flips containing tags and ephemera; decorated with Prima Marketing Buttons & Keepsakes paper, ephemera, rub-on transfers, and flowers; Sweet Spring papers and flowers; Homegrown flowers; Among the Wildflowers Spools of Yarn; and Spellbinders Buttons & Keepsakes coordinating Keepsake Swans and embossing folders.

And the larger flowers on the cover are from 3 Girl's Homegrown collection . I dry brushed all the flowers on the cover with white gesso then added clear glitter glass to them. You can also use any of Prima's glitter too, but I wanted to be a little extra bougie! I also added some pretty gems to the cover as well. 

Made from scratch round mini album with a button-shaped cover and pages with pockets and flips containing tags and ephemera; decorated with Prima Marketing Buttons & Keepsakes paper, ephemera, rub-on transfers, and flowers; Sweet Spring papers and flowers; Homegrown flowers; Among the Wildflowers Spools of Yarn; and Spellbinders Buttons & Keepsakes coordinating Keepsake Swans and embossing folders.

I hope you enjoyed this closer look at my handmade button-shaped mini album and that it inspires you to try your hand at mini albums if you are new to them. And if you are a pro at them, I hope that you enjoy this idea! Until next time, happy crafting!
Adrienne

Shop the Supplies:


Scrapbook.com, A Cherry On Top, Sizzix, Prima Marketing, Spellbinders, Scrap Diva Designs, Etsy & Amazon

I am an affiliate/associate with multiple companies. When you shop the links below, I receive a small commission from the affiliate on qualifying purchases, at no additional cost to you. This helps me balance the costs of the time and love I put into my projects and blog so I can continue to share my ideas with you for FREE. If you shop the links, thank you! I greatly appreciate it.


Below are products that I used for this project













You May Also Like

0 comments

I'd love to hear your thoughts!